Saturday, November 01, 2008

A brief political aside

As a little break from the talk blog entries, I wanted to post this exchange I had yesterday with a blog reader. It's related to the election, so now's the time to discuss. I hope everyone will weigh in with comments! This is a "reasoning together" blog, after all. (But, as always, be sure to keep the commentary respectful.)

With one of the Presidential candidates so openly pro-abortion, should those of us who know that God is the indestructable life of all consider that to be an important issue when we make our choice ?

I value your insight on these serious questions.

Thanks,
_____

Hi, ____! I'm glad you wrote.

I don't know that any candidate is "pro-abortion," although some might be "pro-choice." No one I know is pro-abortion -- that would mean they actively seek to talk people into having abortions even if they don’t want them. To me, abortion is the unfortunate symptom of a much larger problem, that of unwanted pregnancies. To me, the real shame is that pregnancies occur when they are unwanted. This is on the human scene, of course. Every individual is wanted, in fact created, by God.

I myself chose to have the child when I became pregnant out of wedlock, but I don't think I can tell other women what to do in that circumstance. I was enormously fortunate in that I already had a college degree and was in my late twenties. And it has been plenty hard for me to raise this child by myself. For women without my advantages, having and raising a child might be too crushing for them to face. I cannot make that decision for them, nor do I want the government to make that decision for them.

What I'm most wanting from our leaders is a demonstrated caring for children from delivery onward, through childhood, with strong education and equal opportunities even for those who are not of the majority or who come from disadvantaged circumstances. To be honest, I think that's a bigger issue than abortion. There are so many children doing without in our country. I support the candidates who are committed to doing something about that. If our society could show a deeper commitment to the children we already have, it might make the choice to have a child easier on women, since they would be more assured that their child would have a good life.

But that's just me. People of goodwill will disagree with me, and I can respect that.

Please feel free to comment directly on my blog if you like, I'm sure others will respond! Or, I could share this entire exchange on there (while keeping you anonymous), just to see what people say. Would that be okay with you?

Warmly,
Laura

Laura,

Thank you for your well written, thought out response. However, I still think it makes too much of a case for abdication of responsibility for the "least among us."

I am a 67 year old woman in rather good health, caring for a 75 year old husband with many health problems. Would I get a pass if I just stop giving him food and drink because some days I would rather do other things? More "important" things? I think the solutions to the challenges we face MUST always include everyone in the equation. Isn't it a very slippery slope if we don't? Is it an individual choice to obey traffic lights?

Please do feel free to open this up for a huge discussion.

So… Thoughts?


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or submit a question.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

5 Comments:

At 11/01/2008 02:15:00 PM, Anonymous Becca said...

I believe that life begins at conception, but I also consider myself pro-choice.

Unfortunately, in this world, we have to deal with realities, and the reality is that if we take away abortion that doesn't stop abortion. I have been blessed by not having to ever face this situation myself, and I don't feel that I can judge the women who have and have decided that they were not strong enough to go through with having a baby for whatever reason.

To me, the most loving thing that we can do is to try to make sure that as few women feel that this is their only option.

I really agreed with the website prolifeproobama.com . They have many good points including: "the lowest abortion rates in the world - less than 10 per 1,000 women of reproductive age - are in Europe, where abortion is legal and available.... By contrast, in Africa and Latin America and the Caribbean, where abortion law is most restrictive, the regional rates are 29 and 31 per 1,000 women, respectively."

To me, legislating this issue will not actually work to decrease abortion much, while it will persecute women that are already in a very difficult situation. We need to stop trying to demonize the women and love her instead.

 
At 11/01/2008 05:38:00 PM, Anonymous Dennis R said...

A am very much prolife. As a prolifer I am not just for the unborn baby. I am also against the current war. To be consistent, I have to value the life of a person in Iraq as much as I do the baby in the womb.

I see the women getting abortions as victims. Abortion is big business. The abortion industry lies to these women when they are most vulnerable.

My daughter got pregnant when she was 18 years old. I am grateful that even though she did not follow most of my values at the time, she did value life. If she didn't, I would not have my beautiful, soon to be 13, grandaughter.

A society is only as good as it protects its weakest members. There is non weaker than the baby in the womb. In today's society, it is one of the most dangerous places to be.

Thou shalt not kill has not been repealed.

 
At 11/01/2008 07:26:00 PM, Anonymous barb said...

Dennis, im so grateful for your daughters courage and wisdom.. and i think the unborn babies and those born alive in a late term abortion must be the "least among us".. thanks for sharing

 
At 11/01/2008 08:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This country seems hung up on quantity of life vs quality of life. By all means, be pro-life. But don't make it difficult to prevent conception. Personally I'd prefer to adopt (yet it's prohibitively expensive) and I'd like to never *add* to the population. It's darn near impossible, as a female under 30 with no children, to pursue sterilization. Yet it's ridiculously easy to conceive.... faced with an accidental pregnancy, I'd do almost anything to avoid abortion, but *I* want to be the one making that choice for my body.

 
At 11/01/2008 10:36:00 PM, Anonymous barb said...

what a wonderful thing to open up this discussion.. there needs to be much more of this.. we must be able to find better solutions for women if we all speak up..lovingly
for all involved.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home