Emergence Conference in Philly—Abundanza
Just back from the annual Emergence International conference, this year in Philadelphia. Such a weekend of love and support.
I was the keynote speaker, on the topic of Abundanza. My talk was titled, "How being yourself guarantees infinite supply." It was a perfect storm of their interest in abundance (which came up a year ago), my own life over the last year of increasing income, and the world situation. Such incredible timing.
The attendees asked me to share my comments after the fact as well, so I thought I'd blog them here in installments. Not sure how many entries there will be, but I'll index them all in a summary entry.
Here's the intro to the talk. More to come tomorrow!
Thank you Tom, Kerry, Doug, Wes and Hugh for your talks yesterday. It's such a privilege to be here with such high power spiritual thinkers. Such dedication and experience! And what a wealth of ideas we've received so far. I'm really grateful to Emergence for inviting me.
I'll be talking about guaranteeing supply by being yourself. As a framework for this, first I want to tell you about my own last couple years.
- In 2005, I had a full-time job that I loved.
- I had been promoted to manager over a team of people with whom it was a genuine privilege to serve.
- We were on fire with a sense of mission and purpose, and we had growing evidence that in our own way, we were changing the world.
- Then, the bottom fell out.
- A shift in vision and emphasis at the top of the organization materially altered the nature of our project to the extent that many of my colleagues and myself didn't quite fit in with the new direction.
- I found myself laid off from not only the best job I'd ever had, but the highest paying one.
- I had a daughter just about to enter college, a teen-aged son still at home, a mortgage that depended on that monthly income, and no idea what to do next.
I hope in my talk today I can share both how and why this happened, and what I learned about my relationship to God and how understanding both Him and myself is a guarantee of abundance.
First, I'll discuss and I hope dispel the particular form of God's supposed opposite that we've gathered to refute this weekend.
Second, I'll be taking you through the four steps I followed that have led to really bountiful supply in my own life. I didn't know these steps would work when I started down that path, but in looking back, I can see they added up to an extraordinary sense of abundance that is bringing demonstrable results. If we have time, I can then share some specific things you can do to orient your thought toward greater supply, and address the world situation a bit.
TOMORROW: Part II: What are we fighting?
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or submit a question.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.