Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Emergence Conference in Philly—Abundanza

Just back from the annual Emergence International conference, this year in Philadelphia. Such a weekend of love and support.

I was the keynote speaker, on the topic of Abundanza. My talk was titled, "How being yourself guarantees infinite supply." It was a perfect storm of their interest in abundance (which came up a year ago), my own life over the last year of increasing income, and the world situation. Such incredible timing.

The attendees asked me to share my comments after the fact as well, so I thought I'd blog them here in installments. Not sure how many entries there will be, but I'll index them all in a summary entry.

Here's the intro to the talk. More to come tomorrow!

How being yourself guarantees infinite supply

Thank you Tom, Kerry, Doug, Wes and Hugh for your talks yesterday. It's such a privilege to be here with such high power spiritual thinkers. Such dedication and experience! And what a wealth of ideas we've received so far. I'm really grateful to Emergence for inviting me.

I'll be talking about guaranteeing supply by being yourself. As a framework for this, first I want to tell you about my own last couple years.
  • In 2005, I had a full-time job that I loved.
  • I had been promoted to manager over a team of people with whom it was a genuine privilege to serve.
  • We were on fire with a sense of mission and purpose, and we had growing evidence that in our own way, we were changing the world.
  • Then, the bottom fell out.
  • A shift in vision and emphasis at the top of the organization materially altered the nature of our project to the extent that many of my colleagues and myself didn't quite fit in with the new direction.
  • I found myself laid off from not only the best job I'd ever had, but the highest paying one.
  • I had a daughter just about to enter college, a teen-aged son still at home, a mortgage that depended on that monthly income, and no idea what to do next.
Fear about money was just one of the many emotional riptides I experienced for the next several months. But, starting with infantile prayer, childlike obedience and baby steps, over time my own path has become clearer and clearer. Now, after three years, I have a successful freelance business, many new skill sets, a wide network of business connections, I'm making more money than I ever have in my life, and for the first time, I'm pursuing my dreams.

I hope in my talk today I can share both how and why this happened, and what I learned about my relationship to God and how understanding both Him and myself is a guarantee of abundance.

First, I'll discuss and I hope dispel the particular form of God's supposed opposite that we've gathered to refute this weekend.

Second, I'll be taking you through the four steps I followed that have led to really bountiful supply in my own life. I didn't know these steps would work when I started down that path, but in looking back, I can see they added up to an extraordinary sense of abundance that is bringing demonstrable results. If we have time, I can then share some specific things you can do to orient your thought toward greater supply, and address the world situation a bit.

TOMORROW: Part II: What are we fighting?


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or submit a question.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 10/28/2008 11:50:00 AM, Blogger Magdiel Martinez said...

I can't wait to hear more about what you have to say about the area of abundance. Im kinda struggling in that area...I would like a job that pays well when I am formally finished with my education, but at the same time, be a job that I love and can't wait to get to every morning. :)

 
At 10/28/2008 01:29:00 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

Laura...I can't wait for the next segment!!!! While I have helped many people realize that abundance comes from Spirit I tend to be one of the "do as I say, not as I do" kind of people. Thanks for putting this message out there to reinspire me to "do as I say AND do!!!"

 
At 10/28/2008 04:56:00 PM, Anonymous Coit@coitart.com said...

Laura, I was not able to attend the meeting so I am very grateful to be able to read you talk. So far it sounds like a wonderful talk. Thanks again.
Coit

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home