Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Both sides are thinking the same thing

I loved this piece from the satirical Website The Onion:

Report: 60 Million People You'd Never Talk To Voting For Other Guy

It points out something I realized a couple weeks ago although I can hardly believe it—the "other side" of this political fracas probably thinks of me the same way I think of them. And it occurred to me that since they're wrong about me, I'm probably wrong about them.

So I started to think instead that maybe even if I disagree with half the country, I should at least be sure my own rhetoric is respectful of their right to their point of view. Come January, we're all going to have to figure out how to get along with each other again, after this highly divisive process. We're facing too many problems as a country to allow divisiveness to have the final say.

I am keeping my thought open to the universal nature of intelligence, that each and every person has intelligence as one of their inherent building blocks, and therefore every voter can respond to and make a decision based on the more reasonable arguments being put forth rather than knee-jerk reaction to emotion run amok.

Staying cool, calm and collected. Keeping our wits about us. Expressing savvy and becoming well-informed. These, to me, are essential in the coming weeks as we move toward election day. Meet heated argument with respectful reason, and let that do its work. We don't have to convince anyone. Acknowledge a person's native intelligence as you engage in dialog, and you may open the door for reason to take over.

Media reports notwithstanding, I believe in the truth of this statement: "Reason is the most active human faculty" (MBE). So, I want to acknowledge the presence of reason even when there only seems to be insanity.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or submit a question.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

3 Comments:

At 9/30/2008 02:04:00 PM, Blogger ObiDonWan said...

good thinking, Laura!

 
At 9/30/2008 06:47:00 PM, Blogger PtCakes said...

She's back!!!! YAHOOO!!!

Great piece.

 
At 9/30/2008 10:29:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

we do love your "reasoning"...hugs, K

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home