Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Vote early, vote often

Haha, the title of this entry is a reference to politics in my native Chicago in the years of the original Mayor Richard J. Daley. He was quite a character, and that seemed to be the motto of his political machine. But do vote early.

In honor of today's primary vote, I offer a few choice quotes from Mayor Daley himself.

The police are not here to create disorder, they're here to preserve disorder.

We shall reach greater and greater platitudes of achievement.

Television and radio do a wonderful job in focusing attention on the problems of our society.

Even the Lord had skeptical members of His party.

Look at our Lord's disciples. One denied Him; one doubted Him; one betrayed Him. If our Lord couldn't have perfection, how are you going to have it in city government?

Don't worry if they're Democrats or Republicans. Give them service and they'll become Democrats.

They have vilified me, they have crucified me; yes, they have even criticized me.

I'm not the last of the old bosses. I'm the first of the new leaders.

No poll can equal the day-to-day visits of the men and women of the Democratic Party.

Power is dangerous unless you have humility.

We as Democrats have no apologies to make to anyone.

What is inherently wrong with the word 'politician' if the fellow has devoted his life to holding public office and trying to do something for his people?
Interesting guy, that Daley. Never a dull moment in Chicago city politics.

I just cast my ballot even though it's pouring down rain here in Massachusetts. I always get a thrill when the machine slurps up my form—I feel so official, and heard.

So add your voice to the chorus if you're in a Super Tuesday state, and VOTE.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

5 Comments:

At 2/05/2008 11:57:00 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ha, ha is right! Good quotes. And Richard M is carrying on pretty well in his father's footsteps in the Chicago political machine. Amazed you are admitting your Chicago roots. :)

Heading out to vote soon! What a wonderful election - actually difficult decisions among such good choices.

Hugs,
b

 
At 2/05/2008 12:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always used to quote Mayor Daley about elections too. I'm going to the polling place with, I pray, a clean heart and open mind (!) and waiting for intuition to tell me which name to pick.
-ObiDon

 
At 2/05/2008 06:18:00 PM, Blogger PtCakes said...

The rain made voting a bit more interesting. But rain does that to just about everything.

 
At 2/06/2008 05:22:00 PM, Blogger Gramme-Mom said...

Dear Laura,
When someone asked mayor Daley #1 about allegations that he had done something illegal, he said "Who are those allegators".Just thought I would add that to your list.Don't you just love Chicago? I know I do !!
Love, Mom

 
At 2/06/2008 05:23:00 PM, Blogger Gramme-Mom said...

Dear Laura,
When someone asked mayor Daley #1 about allegations that he had done something illegal, he said "Who are those allegators".Just thought I would add that to your list.Don't you just love Chicago? I know I do !!
Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home