Monday, February 11, 2008

Bible and Science and Health: right and left brain?

Yesterday I went with my friend (who's working on that project about churches) to the local Christian Science branch church. It was intriguing to hear her thoughts afterward.

The lesson was Spirit. I showed her around the books and the Quarterly, so she could see the Lord's Prayer, the Tenets, the Scientific Statement of Being in context. I showed her the definition of God and Christ in Science and Health as well. She took copious notes.

Right after the benediction, she turned to me and said, "Oh, it's like a science!"

I mean, of course, it's right in the name, but just the way she said it gave me a new appreciation of that concept. Christian Science definitely takes a scientific approach. It holds together logically, and faith is defined in a way that is understandable.

Then my friend said, "It's like the Bible is the right brain, and Science and Health is the left brain."

Ha! That struck me as very astute. The Bible is the feelings, the faith, the hope, the poetry. Science and Health is the analysis, the logic, the reason, the understanding.

And personally, I need both. This has clarified for me much of the Christian writing I've been reading lately. Most Christians seem to rely on the "feelings" aspect of spiritual practice. There's a virtue, to them, of taking things on faith. I, on the other hand, have always had reason as a close companion to faith. I need it to make sense. I need it to hold together logically. Christian Science provides that for me.

I've never not had this, so I don't know what I would have concluded if I'd spent my life with another teaching. But I tell you, I feel very fortunate today to have a teaching that covers both the creative/intuitive and the logical/reason aspects.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 2/11/2008 03:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you and your friend hit on the right point.
I was raised as a Southern Baptist, then became unchurched, and flirted with Yoga and Buddhism, even chanting, and then found Christian Science, which solved the anguish and yearning to understand spirituality.
-ObiDon

 
At 2/12/2008 10:57:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

insightful post!

I love the right brain/left brain as Bible/Science and Health idea.

 
At 2/17/2008 02:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The realization, that a very posetive result happens when we engage the entire body mind and spirit,which includes the right and left side of the brain as well as the totalioty of being.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home