Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The state of the world

This morning as I pick up blogging again, the news seems overwhelming. I'm focused on Kenya and Pakistan especially, along with Uganda because of a DVD about Invisible Children that my niece gave me for Christmas. There's a lot of violence both chronic and explosive.

I gained some hope from my friend Chris's blog entry last week:

The cause and the reformer

She says that reformers meet resistance, yet progress prevails.

I also did some reading over the break about Russia's Vladimir Putin (TIME's Person of the Year) and China (in Newsweek). Many of us can think of times when these countries were as explosive as the ones in the news today. Now, they've come a long way toward stability and entering full-force into the international stage (albeit not through becoming democratic).

So perhaps the cataclysmic upheavals we're hearing about are actually the death-throes of violence. Meaning, the protesters taking to the streets are the beginning of the end, the initial steps, toward nations demanding stability and wisdom from their government officials, rather than despotic control. There will be resistance to progress because those in power want to stay that way. But my hope in these beginning days of a new year is that people everywhere will get the form of government they want, and will then live together in peace.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 1/02/2008 02:35:00 PM, Blogger PtCakes said...

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world centered on being peaceful? I guess it starts at home. If we can be peaceful there, then we can be peaceful with others, and so on.

 
At 1/02/2008 08:04:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I am finding that being kindness-centric is bring such simple direction and focus, purpose and clarity to every moment...it sounds so simple, but it feels so life-transforming...

hugs, I love you...Kate

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home