Thursday, January 03, 2008

Goals for 2008

The holidays have wound down now, with both kids back to their own activities and my house to myself (at least during the day)with the exception of the dog, of course, and the addition of my daughter's kitty, who I'm boarding until Sunday. Both species are quietly napping right now.

I can hardly believe it's 2008. Does anyone else feel like 2007 barely happened? To me, it blipped by in a blink. But I'm glad to say that I did end the year happier, healthier and feeling more fulfilled than I did at the end of 2006.

Now, I'm thinking about the coming year and about goal setting, which I wrote about in my first blog entry for last year. Goal setting to me is different than merely making a resolution. A resolution can sometimes be wishful thinking; goal setting (as my life coach tells me) includes recognizing and achieving the steps to reaching that goal.

So here are mine for this year. (This is so I can look back on these from time to time to see how I'm doing.)

  • Understand myself better as God's idea and creation. How? Through continued daily study, contemplation, reflection and rejoicing.
  • Help those who ask for it find the next step on their spiritual path. How? By continuing with this Weblog Mon. – Thurs. and talking to anyone who wants to connect.
  • Learn more about the world. How? By reading a new book at least monthly, surfing news sites daily, watching and discussing world events and trends on a regular basis with people I respect.
  • Finish writing the novel. How? By writing at least 5,000 words a week to produce a first draft, taking a trip to the location in the book as research, doing a second-draft edit, and then looking at publishers.
  • Build the long-form editing side of my business. How? By letting clients know I'm available for this kind of work through newsletters and networking.
  • Maintain excellent health. How? Through spiritual progress and a disciplined approach to fitness and nutrition.

I had to edit the first three to make them measurable, so they'd be genuinely "SMART." I think these all are achievable. Emily had a great list, too, which I found very inspiring.

I think it's going to be a great year!


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 1/03/2008 03:03:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I just KNOW you will reach them all...since "Desire is prayer" and "Prayer is God's gracious means..." your desire is God's gracious means for "accomplishing whatever has been successfully done for the Christianization and health of mankind"...that includes you and me...everyone...all our desires are actually just God's way of telling us what He has planned for our year...He is preparing our hearts for His journey...I can't wait to read the book, hear from you while your in Rome, read you insights, perhaps even engage you for editing services...I love you...Kate

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home