Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Political compass

A blog I read Transylvania Dutch had an interesting feature today: the Political Compass.

With this compass, you indicate whether you agree or disagree with a bunch of statements, and find out where you fall on a quadrant of left / right, authoritarian / libertarian. Here are a few samples of the statements:

  • If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.
  • It is regrettable that many personal fortunes are made by people who simply manipulate money and contribute nothing to their society.
  • There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
  • Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers.
  • You cannot be moral without being religious.
  • A same sex couple in a stable, loving relationship, should not be excluded from the possibility of child adoption.

Here's my result.

I apparently fall somewhere between Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, and The Dalai Lama. I'm nowhere near any of the current American political candidates, who, according to Transylvania Dutch, all fall in the upper right quadrant. Stalin is way in the upper left, Hitler right at the axis at the top.

What's interesting to me about this is how many of my choices were informed by my spiritual outlook. I have convictions about the worth of the individual and the nature of reality that make me believe certain ways. I'm also gaining some convictions about the role of government in thwarting unrestrained corporate power.

It's all in the name of discovering who I am. More on this tomorrow.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

4 Comments:

At 12/18/2007 05:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it must feel good to find yourself in such extraordinary company. thank you for sharing this with us all. i am impressed!

 
At 12/19/2007 01:29:00 AM, Blogger Kate said...

hey laura...this was very cool to do...as you said, the questions allow for some pretty interesting self-discovery...Kate

 
At 12/19/2007 11:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found myself in the lower left quadrant too, but a bit up and to the center from your mark. It was an interesting questioner. I found I didn’t necessarily agree or disagree with some of the statements, but you had to answer anyway. Gary

 
At 12/20/2007 08:46:00 PM, OpenID redforkhippie said...

I'm further left and more libertarian ... which should come as a surprise to exactly nobody. :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home