Thursday, December 06, 2007

"Mawwage"

Does anyone else get that reference to The Princess Bride? It's a funny scene where the main character, the Princess, is being forced to marry the evil Prince, and the Impressive Clergyman who stands up to perform the ceremony has a speech impediment. So he starts off his comments with, "Mawwage. Mawwage is what bwings us togethew today. Mawwage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam…" (If you really want to waste some time, you can read the entire script here.)

I just finished the chapter on Marriage in Science and Health. Of course, I've read it untold millions of times before, yet it still had something new to tell me. This time, I was attracted to all the instances, especially in the beginning of the chapter, where Mary Baker Eddy talks about blending and harmony. Maybe it's because I had just participated in a Sing-Along Messiah over the weekend, but choral music was on my mind, so those concepts leapt off the page at me.

She uses words like: union and unity, conjoining naturally, spiritual oneness, harmony, unity of spirit, blending, mingling, being the center, compromise, welding indissolubly, etc. She uses opposite concepts for things to avoid like: severance of fleshly ties, discord, narrowness, jealousy, incompatibility, etc.

I was especially struck by this passage:

Tones of the human mind may be different, but they should be concordant in order to blend properly. p. 58

This so reminded me of the choral singing. Each tone, each voice, is different, but they can blend in ways that are miraculous and uplifting. It gave me something more to look for in a relationship. Do the tones blend? The tone of my human mind and of the other. Can I hear that tone, and does it resonate to something higher?

I'd love to hear from those of you who found that concordant tone in your partner. How does it resonate for you in your daily life?


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home