Monday, December 03, 2007

Bonding with the team

Spent most of the weekend at a retreat for a new position as assistant director of my networking organization. I'm now over four chapters, and at the retreat had to develop goals for the year.

There was also a lot of bonding and inspiration with the AD team of about 25. The first night, we had to break up into teams of six and perform an intense wellness relay. The team as a whole had to 1) run a mile, 2) do 200 each of sit-ups, pushups and jumping jacks, 3) run 8 flights of stairs (5 levels each), 4) answer some wellness related questions, and 5) build a bridge out of newspaper. In 20 minutes. It was crazy! Everyone had to do at least a little of each thing. I'm proud to say that I knocked myself out. I was exhausted but feeling very energized by the end.

The start of the retreat included an introduction by the executive director, an amazing woman. She said two things that really struck me:

  • If you're confused, you're about to learn something.
  • If you're frustrated, you're about to have a breakthrough.

Aren't those cool? Confusion and frustration are usually so uncomfortable we get caught on the sensations. But what if we saw them both as opportunities that would inevitably lead to a positive outcome? I loved that.

Later, I shared something I'd heard lately (but can't remember where, if you recognize it, please tell me):

If you want to get something you've never had,
you've got to do something you've never done.

The weekend left me with the feeling that anything is possible.

How was your weekend?


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 12/03/2007 11:04:00 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

I can't say I've ever been a "team" sort of person, and tomorrow is my first day starting in that scenario - your post has been quite reassuring!

 
At 12/04/2007 10:12:00 PM, Blogger MARIA... said...

Hi Laura, you must have read that final idea on Kate's Nov. 27th blog "...to be simple..." (follow the Fellow Bloggers link to Stone River Reflections). Kate also was looking for the source. Thanks for sharing the thoughts on confusion and anger--a good reminder that they always lead to self-discovery.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home