Thursday, November 29, 2007

Jesus was himself

I'm on the chapter Atonement and Eucharist in Science and Health, and, as I've mentioned, I'm bringing my questions about self-discovery to the reading. So, here I am facing this chapter about Jesus and his mission. And it occurred to me: Jesus was always himself.

Here are some Mary Baker Eddy insights from my reading so far:

Jesus acted boldly, against the accredited evidence of the senses, against Pharisaical creeds and practices, and he refuted all opponents with his healing power. p. 18

The Master forbore not to speak the whole truth, declaring precisely what would destroy sickness, sin, and death, although his teaching set households at variance, and brought to material beliefs not peace, but a sword. p. 19

He rendered "unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." He at last paid no homage to forms of doctrine or to theories of man, but acted and spake as he was moved, not by spirits but by Spirit. p. 20

"Despised and rejected of men," returning blessing for cursing, he taught mortals the opposite of themselves, even the nature of God; and when error felt the power of Truth, the scourge and the cross awaited the great Teacher. Yet he swerved not, well knowing that to obey the divine order and trust God, saves retracing and traversing anew the path from sin to holiness. p. 20

Neither the origin, the character, nor the work of Jesus was generally understood. Not a single component part of his nature did the material world measure aright. p. 28

Divine Truth, Life, and Love gave Jesus authority over sin, sickness, and death. His mission was to reveal the Science of celestial being, to prove what God is and what He does for man. p. 26

What I'm appreciating these days is that Jesus had a mission of his own to complete, and he did it. Unflinching, he faced what he needed to do. Because of what he did, I don't have to do it. I have a mission of my own that I need to complete as fully as he did.

This to me is becoming one way that I can emulate him. As a Christian, I'm committed to following Jesus and his teachings, to learning as much as I can about healing, to living the spiritual lessons he taught us. In addition to this, I can follow his example by discovering and then expressing the unique nature I've been given.

The Creator created only one Jesus. The Creator created only one me. Jesus did his job; I must also do mine.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 11/29/2007 02:06:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

i like this...alot! love you, K

 
At 12/03/2007 02:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,

I was impressed by your saying, “As a Christian, I'm committed to following Jesus and his teachings.” MBE made a similar statement: “I therefore plant myself unreservedly on the teachings of Jesus…” (S&H 269.22)

Now I’m wondering if you have ever read the four Gospels all the way through in order to see for yourself what Jesus had to teach and are not simply relying on the opinions of others, or selections read in the “Weekly Bible Lessons”?

Many people have their opinions of what Jesus had to teach. I do too. But I think it is good to check out for one’s self the details of what Jesus had to say, if interested, and in what circumstances he may have said what he is quoted to have said.

Like, for an example of an odd contrast needing further contemplation, we read of Jesus saying, “Come unto me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your soul. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Mat. 11:29-30). Hey, this sounds desirable, doesn’t it? However Jesus also said, “The gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few” (Mat. 7:14). Why are those who find the way that leads to life “few” when the yoke is easy and the burden is light?

If you hadn’t yet read the S&H book would you rely on someone else’s take on Mrs. Eddy’s teachings and not check out her writings for yourself? I think not.

I know you are currently rereading the whole S&H book in order to refresh your mind on Mary Baker Eddy’s teachings, even though you presumably read selections each day in the “Weekly Bible Lessons.”

By reading three chapters a day (5 – 15 minutes) for 30 days, the entire Gospel reading can be done in one month. However this sort of Bible reading requires reflection time too, the same as when reading what Mrs. Eddy had to say.

Gary

 
At 12/03/2007 02:41:00 PM, Blogger Laura Matthews said...

Hi, Gary, thanks for your thoughts...

At different points on my spiritual path I've read through different things. For example, with the Bible, I read it straight through from Genesis to Revelation for a six-month study that was extremely fruitful.

Hope you've enjoyed or will enjoy reading Science and Health through sometime!

Warmly,
Laura

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home