Tuesday, November 20, 2007

It's a book about me

I've read Science and Health my whole life. It's always helped me through every tough situation, and it's encouraged me in the good times as well. I've thought of it as a book *for* me. Now, on this read through, I'm seeing it for the first time as a book *about* me.

Check this out:

We should examine ourselves and learn what is the affection and purpose of the heart, for in this way only can we learn what we honestly are.

Science and Health, page 8

That in a nutshell is what my journey is all about these days. What is the affection and purpose of my heart? Who am I really? And there's Mary Baker Eddy, telling me it's okay to explore these things and figure it out. In fact, she says I "should" do this self-examination. It's not self-indulgence, it's essential to the spiritual journey.

Which of course makes sense, and I could have figured this out for myself. But I'm one who has always needed a light to guide me, and Science and Health has always been that light. Sometimes I resist turning the light on because somehow I get the weird idea that I won't like what I see. But when I finally crack open that book one more time, I find only encouragement and love.

I have a little reminder in Outlook that pops up to remind me to do my fifteen minutes of reading every day. I've never been so eager to drop everything to do a task on my to-do list before. It's like talking with a best friend who knows you better than anyone else ever has or will. How great that MBE took the time to write a book about me, so many years ago!

I think she wrote it about you, too. Take a look and see.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 11/21/2007 08:20:00 AM, Anonymous Dennis R said...

Does that reading include the weekly Bible lesson or in addition to it?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home