Monday, October 29, 2007

Quick update and worshipping women

Good Monday morning everyone!

First, just an update: you'll recall the looming driver's instruction from a few weeks ago. Well, it turns out the kid is a natural. All those years of Grand Theft Auto (a computer game) have paid off. He has better spacial acuity and sensitivity to his surroundings than I do along with really fast reaction time. What he doesn't have is a detailed knowledge of the law. ("Um, yes, you do need to come to a complete stop at stop signs, even if there's no traffic.") We're working on that. So just a word to the wise—if your adolescent has been squealing his or her wheels for years in high-speed online chase scenes, they will be able to keep you from getting hit but may need to understand that in a real car, you do need to pay attention to things like lanes and traffic lights.

Second, and totally unrelated, I found this wonderful Sanskrit quote on a friend in India's blog:

Where women are worshipped, goddesses dwell.
Where they are not worshipped, all actions are fruitless.

This just hit me on many levels! As I've mentioned, I'm writing a book on Rome, and of course women back then were totally marginalized, at least on paper. No voting rights, difficult property rights, no possibility of any career besides marriage (for the upper classes). Even today, communities that don't value women suffer from lack of progress.

But also the quote told me that even here, womanhood, the feminine essence of divinity, needs deeper appreciation. To worship womanhood is to uplift all of us to divine status. To ignore or downgrade or marginalize it is to affect the creative potential of the entire surrounding society.

As I think through the potential for my own life, I'm realizing I need to appreciate more the womanhood I express. I don't focus on it much in the day-to-day fight for survival and having to be two parents to my kids. This may be the time to explore this side of my nature more thoroughly. Which would explain why that passage somehow meant so much to me—time to embrace the Divine as feminine.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 11/02/2007 01:08:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Hey Laura...

I love this...

I'm sure you know that the word "Shekinah" means "the feminine nature of God"

It really sheds such profound light on this passage from Science and Health:

The nature of Christianity is peaceful and blessed, but in order to enter into the kingdom, the anchor of hope must be cast beyond the veil of matter into the Shekinah into which Jesus has passed before us; and this advance beyond matter must come through the joys and triumphs of the righteous as well as through their sorrows and afflictions. Like our Master, we must depart from material sense into the spiritual sense of being.

I love the explorer, adventurer, discoverer nature of this work...

love you, Kate

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home