Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Q: Treatment a la Laura

This question came in from Lisa in Georgia:

Laura, when you are giving a treatment, do you have to be physically present with the person whom you are treating and do you have them participate in some way?

I'm glad for this question because it gives me the opportunity to describe where I am with the practice these days.

First, let me give some information about Christian Science practitioners in general. There are practitioners who are in what's known as the "full time practice," many of whom are available for calls any time day or night. I've worked with full timers who can take up the prayerful work on my behalf, without my having to come see them or really do anything for the healing. Other times, I've had to dig in myself along with the practitioner's prayers. It depends more on where I am in my spiritual journey than what the practitioner is like. Each case is different.

"Part time practitioners" also provide non-present prayerful treatment and can either do all the work on your behalf or suggest ways you can participate. They're just not as available 24/7 the way full timers are. Perhaps they also have other jobs or families, etc.

As for me, I think I'm creating some kind of new category that might just be me alone. My practice has segued into more of a coaching role, stemming from this Weblog—kind of resembling a Sunday school teacher for adults. While I do pray for those who call me, I'm consistently requiring their full participation in the healing. In other words, with my encouragement, they're the ones achieving the spiritual growth needed for the healing to take place.

I give ideas on how to think more clearly, tips on how to quiet thought, concepts from my knowledge of human nature to bring perspective to the problem. Also, I've been told that I'm incredibly easy to talk to. I don't get shocked by anything—bring it on!

While I don't have to be physically present with a person, I do require that they make the healing a priority and that they do the spade work necessary. When I sense a person needs something other than I can provide, I refer them to another practitioner in their local area.

So, if you want to talk something through, if you want some pointers on where to go next on your journey, if you want someone to make you laugh at the problem and rise above it, I'm here for you. I'll help you see that you have within you all that you need to face and overcome whatever issues are on your plate.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 10/24/2007 09:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good working philosophy for your practice!
-obidon

 
At 10/28/2007 01:31:00 AM, Blogger Kiran Paranjape said...

The spiritual energy that is created by a prayer is not limited by barriers of mundane world like time, space & person.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home