Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Love in the driver's seat

Boy, did I get great feedback yesterday! Thank you everyone. Here's a sampling, edited. You can read the entire messages at the bottom of yesterday's posting.

At 10/09/2007 08:10:00 AM, Remembering Truth said...

Thanks for your awesome blog about driving. I'm 18, and when I first started to drive... my dad always taught me to be "patient", "unemotional", and "loving".

He would ALWAYS tell me that I shouldn't drive if I was angry, upset, or frustrated... because it's really easy for "your frustration to overcome your focus on what you should be doing". He would also always tell me to be a "defensive driver"... and NOT an "offensive driver". And by this he meant.... "you're NEVER in 'too much' of a hurry".

So I guess my point is this... my favorite personal spiritual qualities that I always try to focus on (when driving specifically) are "patience", "love", "responding", "unemotional", "principled", "joyous", "unreactionary", and "peaceful".

I'm not a parent, but I've gone through the whole "being taught by a parent thingy" on how to drive... and that's what I've gotten out of it. Thanks to this... I've never gone over the speed limit... and I have never been pulled over by the cops. Which is always a good thing :-)!!!

At 10/09/2007 10:58:00 AM, Kate said...

as Faith Hill sings... "Just breathe..."

It really helps...don't hold your breath...I found it helpful to remember that I don't have to wonder if I will have the wisdom to know how to breathe each moment...and that she had all the wisdom she needed to know when to ease into merging traffic, when to ease off the gas, when to surge gently forward into a crosswalk...
At 10/09/2007 01:50:00 PM, Emily said...

Love.

I have two things I like to do in traffic (when I remember):

1. If someone cuts me off or makes a foolish move, of course I hit the brakes to keep from hitting him, but then I pause, mentally, and remember that he is not his mistake (rather than calling him a moron or whatever) and that God's children are always "cared for, watched over, loved, and protected," so neither he nor the drivers, cyclists, or pedestrians around him can be harmed by any mistakes he might make.

2. If someone makes an obscene gesture at me -- which happens occasionally -- I respond with a peace sign. It always makes me laugh, and it helps keep my thought elevated so I don't get upset or angry about the other person's rude behavior.

At 10/10/2007 02:00:00 AM, RobertSF said...

One of my fondest memories of my father, with whom I was not close at all, was when I got my learner's permit and he let me drive on the turnpike for over 200 miles to pick up my brother from school. My father slept the whole way and that gave me more confidence and affection for him then anything else he could have done.

My mom also wrote to me and said to remind my son to "emerge gently." Ha!

Thanks again, everyone!


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 10/10/2007 09:58:00 AM, Blogger Kate said...

You're welcome...and thank you...and please give Chris a birthday hug from me...love you both, K

 
At 10/10/2007 11:15:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Thanks - I'm keeping these ideas for my son who will be starting driver's ed soon. Yikes! Please send on my Congrats to Chris!

 
At 10/10/2007 01:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Laura and all for these greaat ideas! Will be helpful for my own driving (I do have a tendancy to be a bit agressive behind the wheel - very unlike the real me!) and I think as well for the opposite end of the spectrum which I'm beginning to face with my mother's driving now.

When we are goingn to the same place, she loves to offer to drive us both there - truly a generous thought - but her driving abilities appear to be getting shakier and I pray the whole way to the destination. That patience, love, unemotional responding, and not holding your breath that's been suggested for riding with new drivers will be in my thought more while riding with her.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home