Monday, September 03, 2007

How to stop smoking--and other stuff

Here's an article from CNN about smoking cessation for women:

How four women quit smoking—and you can too

The first two, especially, hit on what a friend of mine used to talk about as the way to quit. They changed their self-definition from smoker to non-smoker.

  • The first, Liz, says, "I used to love it, but now the smell makes me sick," she says. "It's not who I am anymore."
  • The second, Natasha says, "I realized that I was becoming a nonsmoker."

I love this! There are many ways to approach changing your self-definition. I think no matter how you slice it, it's a transformation of thought based on a higher concept of yourself that you need to adopt to dispel unhealthy habits or traits.

And whenever you're doing something like this, aren't you turning from the physical evidence and declaring, "No! That's not who I am!" You almost have to declare and accept this *first* before the outward transformation takes place. You have to let it fill your mind before you see it happen outwardly.

Some people might find this hard to do in the face of overwhelming physical evidence. I mean, some of these ladies had smoked for years. To appearances, they were smokers. But internally, they began to entertain the notion they were *not* smokers, and they then began to be able to adjust to that new outlook.

Some people can do this through their own strong wills. Others need a bit of a boost. I'm one of the latter. My boost comes from Christian Science reasoning, which, no matter what the physical evidence I'm facing, always brings me back to the core concept that I am the image and likeness of the Divine. If I'm dealing with something that's unlike the Divine, I can instead adopt mentally, then outwardly, its opposite—harmony, peace, health. I never have to put up with anything in my self-definition that is less than that.

You can uplift that self-definition any time, no matter what it seems you're stuck with. Start with accepting something higher in your thought, and let that shape your experience.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 9/04/2007 07:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something like this concept helped me finally conquer bulimia about 12 years ago. I'd struggled with this and anorexia (and the combination of the two) for the previous 12 years. Ups and downs, stops and starts, etc., but couldn't totally stop.

During the mid-90s, I really started growiing spiritually in earnest, delving deeper into the Bible and actually *reading* Science and Health like a book, not just with the Bible Lesson. I was learning a lot, and LOVING what I was discovering and learning - much was familiar to me as I'd "grown up in Christian Science", but it all seemed so new and it was really resonating with me. But I was still falling into the eating/binging/purging pattern with great regularity.

Then one day, while in the midst of "an episode", it was soooo clear to me - like a direct statement in my thought, a bolt of lightening - "This isn't me! Doing this is not part of who I am!" And that was it. Literally it. No more binging and purging since.

Yes, there have been some times, really very few, that I've been "tempted" to do this again. At those times, I reaffirm that this idea is not mine nor God's to me, that it has not part of me and my identity, and it quickly subsides. Can't even remember the last time I've felt tempted! It is such a feeling of freedom to remove this false label that I'd applied to myself and to see more clearly the real me as God has labeled me. Not a binger or bulimic, but whole, healthy, balanced.

Thanks for your post today and the reminder it provided for me!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home