Friday, August 17, 2007

Use the talent you have

I finished reading through my class notes today, at least the notes we actually covered during the two-week period. What a feast. (There are subsequent notes I still need to cover that were for study after class.)

Here's a wonderful email I received from a blog reader who recently went through class himself:

I took class to address my objections to Christian Science and to decide whether or not I could continue to pursue it. I brought with me the critical inner voice from my [more traditional Christian] fire and brimstone background. These recent 2 weeks were more profound and transformative than I could have hoped for and that inner voice has just evaporated, replaced by a completely different voice that constantly tells me how good I am, how loved I am. I like this voice a lot better and will stick with it.

The intensity of those two weeks will never leave me. It felt like we had covered all of creation, both the real and the unreal. It was a monstrous huge feast on the meat of the Word. So much so that, at the end, it was possible to feel overwhelmed. How could I possibly get any of this done? How could I ever live up to the teaching?

This wonderful encouraging passage was included in the readings for the last day:

To do good to all because we love all, and to use in God's service the one talent that we all have, is our only means of adding to that talent and the best way to silence a deep discontent with our shortcomings. (Mary Baker Eddy, First Church of Christ, Scientist, and Miscellany)

*Sigh*. I found this very comforting. I know I can do good today, I don't need to worry about how much I'll accomplish tomorrow. I can just take it one day at a time, and use my talents as best I can. That's good enough for God.

Class gives you the big picture, and then you can turn to the longer process of developing your spiritual practice from what you've learned. It's not expected that you'll master it all in a day—rather, it's a foundation of metaphysics that can inform all that comes after.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 8/20/2007 05:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this entry very inspiring and encouraging. Thanks!

Miki

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home