Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Surrogate wealth

Today I’m remembering with a smile a sequence from the movie Pursuit of Happyness. (Wrote about the movie here as well.)

The main character Chris Gardner goes with his son Christopher to see a wealthy potential client who is just headed out the door to a major league football game. Gardner makes a good enough first impression that the man invites him and his boy to see the game with them in their box seats. The little boy has the time of his life at the game, living for those few hours as people who can afford anything can live.

That's happened to me so many times I can't count them. Not a football game, but the experience of the kids and me being invited to enjoy an event or activity I couldn't remotely afford through the invitation of a generous someone who is more well-to-do. I loved those times—they were a total gift. I’ve felt similar gratitude on hiking trails that wind through wealthy neighborhoods. I could enjoy the setting without having to have the house there.

I guess what I'm saying is, I’m grateful this morning for wealthy memories. My little family didn’t always have much disposable income, but we have consistently had wealthy experiences. Sometimes I’ve berated myself for not having been able to provide the unlimited wherewithal myself, but then I remember, hey, I was *raising* the kids. This was my priority. And the kids still had some amazing experiences through loving family and friends. To me, this was an indication of divine Love’s provision for them, and for me. We never really were going without—we were always served with abundance.

Today, as I remember all this, I realize I’ve been wealthy all my life. I’m realizing you don’t have to own something to have it. We’re all on the receiving end of divine abundance.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 8/01/2007 03:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your concluding words are inspirational, saying, “I realize I’ve been wealthy all my life. I’m realizing you don’t have to own something to have it. We’re all on the receiving end of divine abundance.” Well said!

Do you think maybe Jesus had this understanding you’ve gained in mind for his followers when he said, “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions, and give alms; provide yourselves with purses that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also”?

It is easy to say, “Jesus just said these words to a certain rich ruler (which he did, later on) who may have had more riches that he needed,” but the truth is that Jesus said these words to his whole little flock of disciples too, some of whom were middle class fishermen – certainly not of the wealthy class.

I know a disciple who has sold his or her possessions and given alms with their funds - and continues in these words - will be more or less like Ol’ Mother Hubbard with a seemingly empty cupboard, but those “treasures in the heavens that do not fail” are actually packed into that empty cupboard (call it your spiritualized consciousness), and will be overflowing from the invisible as needed. Note, I didn’t say “as wanted.”

Jesus said to his followers regarding the glorifying of his Spirit (the Spirit of truth) following his crucifixion: “He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine, and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take of what is mine, and reveal it to you.” “All that the Father has” - who could ask for anything more? And it starts out with a willingness to trust in God, and, as you said above, that “you don’t have to own something to have it.”

 
At 8/02/2007 10:13:00 AM, Blogger PtCakes said...

The best measure of wealth is not what in found in your pocketbook, but what is found in your heart. How many people have been sited in the news as multi-millionaires, but having a wealth of problems? I feel sorry for them. Give me the gift of fresh air, a warm hug, a peaceful walk, and child looking for comfort in the morning.

 
At 8/02/2007 01:30:00 PM, Anonymous Dennis R. said...

An interesting coincidence occured after reading your article yesterday. My next door neighbor knocked on my door last night and handed me a fresh peach pie.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home