Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Petition from a hungry heart

Still thinking about class (see yesterday's entry). I did pull out my notes, which consist of citations from the Bible and Mary Baker Eddy's works that we explored over the 12-day class period. I punched the first day's worth into my Concord computer program yesterday, and went through each one. I'll probably do this every day for this week and next.

Reading these words, I'm struck by two things: The concepts are comfortably familiar yet challengingly fresh, and I truly accept that they are an accurate depiction of reality. It's always illuminating to circle back and dig in again, only to find that I never really wandered. Christian Science is simply the way I think.

Here's a passage from Mary Baker Eddy that my teacher over two decades ago urged us to read every morning:

One thing I have greatly desired, and again earnestly request, namely, that Christian Scientists, here and elsewhere, pray daily for themselves; not verbally, nor on bended knee, but mentally, meekly, and importunately. When a hungry heart petitions the divine Father-Mother God for bread, it is not given a stone, — but more grace, obedience, and love. If this heart, humble and trustful, faithfully asks divine Love to feed it with the bread of heaven, health, holiness, it will be conformed to a fitness to receive the answer to its desire; then will flow into it the "river of His pleasure," the tributary of divine Love, and great growth in Christian Science will follow, — even that joy which finds one's own in another's good. (Miscellaneous Writings 127:7)

The promise of these words still moves me. It seems my love affair with Christian Science heats and cools as my life enters different phases, but Christian Science remains, faithful, there for me, ready for when I come home.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home