Friday, August 31, 2007

Hymning

Be Thou, Oh God, exalted high;
And as Thy glory fills the sky,
So let it be on earth displayed,
Till Thou art here and now obeyed.

My very dear friend Valerie recently gave me a shiny blue copy of the Christian Science Hymnal (words only). I keep it here at my desk, and have been reading a few of the poems every day.

The above, the first one in the book, is one of my absolute faves. I love belting it out at the top of my lungs in wide open spaces. I love jazzing it up with some country-western twangs and slurs. I love giving it all the spirit my soul can muster.

I'm going to take the hymns on my run today. It's great to have one running through my head to help me get cadence to my step.

What's your favorite hymn?

Have a great weekend!


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 8/31/2007 12:05:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

The one you pointed out is certainly one of my faves. Lately, here's the second verse from my most current favorite (#224 in the CS Hymnal):

All good, where'er it may be found,
Its source doth find in Thee;
I must have all things and abound,
While God is God to me.
O that I had a stronger faith,
To look within the veil,
To credit what my Saviour saith,
Whose word can never fail.

Another good one to run to - well, walking mostly in my case. :)

Hugs,
b

 
At 8/31/2007 03:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorites are #7, Abide with me; and # 148, In heavenly Love abiding.

Some time back I borrowed tapes of old CS radio programs from a local reading room. Some of the musicians on these tapes had made their own arrangements. One, I recall, the Abide with me song, was played as if it were being performed, with guitar, by a woman singing in a coffee house. It was marvelously moving.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home