Monday, June 25, 2007

Q: How to pray

I received this earnest question [slightly edited] over the weekend:

Ahh! Please help me Laura! I have a question that has been bugging me all night!

I just came across a link to a blog that a friend reccomended to me. And the question that he just posted has been crazy! Can you please check it out? He said "How do you pray?"

I have no idea how to pray! Can you please help me?

Thank you very much, I really don't mean to sound like a desperate little kid. I almost sound like my 3 year-old son. I would just really appreciate it if you wrote a post about this question. Thank you very much.

~Jack Q

Thanks for writing in, Jack! Always glad to hear from you, and hope you’ll feel free to write again whenever you’d like.

I’ve written a bunch about prayer already, so will point you to some links you could explore. (To any of my fellow bloggers: if you have posts specific to prayer, send me the links and I'll add them below.)


All Laura’s prayer postings

Individual posts


All Laura’s postings on treatment

Individual posts


So, browse through these to see what they can tell you. The final one contains an invitation to consider Christian Science class instruction, which is where I really learned how to do all this. You might want to think about it, too.

Keep in touch, Jack, and let me know how your exploration is going!


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

5 Comments:

At 6/25/2007 09:03:00 AM, Anonymous Dennis R. said...

Along these lines, I am experimenting with something to try and help me with prayer. Maybe you can tell me if it is in line with Christian Science prayer.

I have started a prayer journal. When I read a CS article say at Spirituality.com or the daily article in the Christian Science Monitor, and something inspires me, I record a statement of Truth or a prayer give God thanks for a particular Truth.

Does this sound like a good practice?
This way I have a source of inspiration I can turn to to help me pray.

 
At 6/25/2007 09:13:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Dennis, I think this sounds like an excellent practice! And right in line with Christian Science, as far as I can see.

:)
L
@}-->--

 
At 6/25/2007 10:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack,

I have had same questions as you and have begged at forums such as this, never received a straight answer.

I even asked for simple instructions such as one would give a child and still got the gray talk using lingo rather than an answer.

The problem is if one is not brought up in a particular tradition one does not understand the replies.

I have tried to work it out by reading testimonies to see if I could get a sense of how they do it.

 
At 6/25/2007 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post Laura!! I really appreciate your openess and honesty! Jack, I have had the same question this year! Thank you for asking it!!!

~Tim

 
At 6/25/2007 10:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, thank you very much for these ideas. I feel like all I was looking for was one meal to feed me with, and you just supplied my family with a year's supply of free "food for thought"! Thank you! I'll let you know when I read them all. Right now I am reading the first one.
~Jack Q

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home