Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Follow vs. worship

Please take my Blog Reader Project survey.

A friend of mine sent a fascinating online article: Sadness: Yale University Address to Medical Students, by Franciscan Father Richard Rohr. If you want a deep read, check it out.

Here's one section I found particularly enlightening:

I hope I'm not being too cynical in saying this, but I don't think we really want to walk [the] mystery ourselves, so we worship it in Jesus. Now let me explain that. … You know, Jesus never once said, "Worship me," he said, "Follow me." One of the cleverest ways to avoid following someone is to worship him, it really works, it's very clever. You just put him on a pedestal, you make God out of him and you pay all kind of homage to this God figure and then you don't have to do what he did.

I love that! Crystal clear thinking from what I can see.

I worship God; I follow Jesus. God, the supreme, all-knowing, all-loving Creator, is worthy of my bended knee and devoted heart. God, Spirit, represents the goal of the journey. Jesus showed us how to get there. Christ Jesus is the ultimate sherpa, guiding us on the path to the Father-Mother Love. The Christ, always with us even when the corporeal Jesus is not, gives the map and is just ahead of us with a lantern in hand.

We do what Jesus did because he so closely embodied the Christ, the Wayshower, the Light. We worship the Divine as Jesus did, as part of the way Spiritward.

No excuses, then. Follow Jesus, worship God.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 6/12/2007 02:48:00 PM, Anonymous Dennis R. said...

In one of my favorite verses, Jesus says to His followers that they call Him Lord, Lord, but do not not do what He says. Making Jesus Lord of our lives means more than just lip service.

 
At 6/16/2007 12:48:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

"I worship God; I follow Jesus." Brilliant. Thanks for this thoughtful post!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home