Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Dance before the Lord with all your might

Please take my Blog Reader Project survey.

Blog reader Pamela sent in this incredible tap dancing sequence:

Well worth the YouTube download time, check it out. I’ve been watching it over and over this morning.

What is there about dance? I contra danced last night, and danced for hours at my friends’ wedding recently. I love the twirling and the jumping and the music and the camaraderie. I love watching how others interpret the music and the good, clean fun of the thing.

David in the Bible did a lot of dancing. I relate to David on many levels, not the least of which is dance. Not everyone was happy with him for it, yet he kept on dancing. To him, it was a form of praise.

At one point, the Bible says, “And David danced before the Lord with all his might” (II Samuel). Maybe that’s what I love about it. Dancing is 100%. You don’t want to be timid or hesitant or doubtful. You want to throw yourself into it completely, keeping all your wits about you yet letting the rhythm and the movement take you forward.

I waltzed with a gentleman last night who kept us moving smoothly through an ever-shifting crowd of couples. Step by step we glided across the floor, in harmony not only with each other but with the other dancers.

I love that 100% quality, and am realizing today that I approach a lot of life that way. Give it everything you’ve got, hold nothing back. If you’re going to do something, do it with all your might.

With all your might. I love that thought for today!


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 6/05/2007 12:26:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Last summer at camp we had a Ballywood dance night...everyone (counselors, campers...practititioner) all dressed in Indian garb...some painted mendi on their hands and wrists, bindis adorned foreheads...we watched a wonderful Ballywood movie during dinner and then after dinner with the opening prayer of "And David danced before the Lord with his might" boys took their places on one side of the lodge and girls on the other...we danced to traditional and contemporary Indian music and then let loose with a full out rock and roll, RnB, folk, bluegrass, country camp dance....it was sacred...to say the least...

thanks for reminding me of this amazing night...as a former ballerina...I know that someof my most holy moments as a teen and young woman were spent in enpointe...

realizing that my body was completely incapable of the movement, flexibility, and strength I could only have known through God's grace....

with Love...

 
At 6/05/2007 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Wonderful post Laura!!!! You have captured what I love most about dance as well.

 
At 6/07/2007 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

I'm not much of a dancer, but I am encouraed by your pointing out David's purpose; and by what's been making the email rounds lately: Dance as though no one is watching!
These provide a good why, and a good how for those of us who may not glide or pirouette.
Love your honesty.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home