Friday, May 25, 2007

Q: Selective specificity

As promised yesterday, here are some thoughts on how to selectively explore specific elements of spiritual reality in order to zero in on outgrowing circumstances we no longer want to experience—i.e., healing.

“Pondering”’s comment asked how it was I had healed my finger of an infection through knowing my own perfection, yet I still wear glasses. And the basic answer is, the finger was painful enough that I was motivated to selectively focus and learn what I needed to learn to heal it. The glasses I’ve worn since fourth grade and have grown accustomed to—they’re normalized into my human life to the point where I don’t even notice them anymore.

Yes, I could selectively focus, so to speak, on healing my vision. In fact, I’ve done so on occasion and my vision improved permanently. But to be honest, there are other things at this point getting my prayer attention. Glasses don’t heal the problem, but they do allow me to function normally, for which I’m grateful. They’re not invasive or obnoxious. So I deal with it even though I know I could heal it if I gave it the focus it would require.

We make these choices all the time. What needs immediate healing today? What will take longer term consecration of effort? Often I’m not motivated to pursue healing until something is sufficiently uncomfortable to make me work for it. It’s the discomfort that motivates me. I can relate to Paul when he says, “I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong” (II Corinthians). The infirmities motivate us.

Which brings me to my next point. In healing, it’s been my observation that you need to be specific. When facing a particular problem, use the specific spiritual counterfact to combat it. A friend once told me to use the problem’s opposite to find the spiritual law governing the situation.

As a total hypothetical, if the problem is blurred vision, you might be inspired to focus thought on clarity and understanding, and your inherent ability to discern the Divine. I say “total hypothetical” because it may be different for different instances. I’m not suggesting that every case of blurred vision should be combated with those spiritual concepts. But you get the idea.

Use your prayer time when facing an issue to open thought to what the specific spiritual counterfact is in your case. I know I’ve hit on a healing truth when 1) it feels like a new idea (even though I may have heard the idea before), 2) it makes complete sense to me and 3) it brings a feeling of peace and conviction. This adds up to an “aha” moment of illumination that removes my fear and eradicates the problem.

So to tie up this entry, what I was doing with the finger was applying the specific idea about perfection to combat the false belief of infection. The vision situation has and will require other specific ideas to heal it. It is possible, I just haven’t done that homework yet! I think selective healing allows us to take on mortal existence in bite-sized pieces, rather than the whole chunk at once. We can then chip away at unreality bit by bit, expressing dominion as we go.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 5/27/2007 05:15:00 PM, Blogger Gale said...

Hi Laura. This is my first visit to your blog, which I just found from the Wikipedia page on Christian Science. You know, I have made the same observations about how I focus my prayer time/energy. Nothing works right if I focus on "everything at once". Instead I focus on where I am in the most discomfort, or greatest worry, or greatest lack of peace. I have also found that meditation helps me get in tune with my self and establish better focus. Helps me quiet my mind and become more sensitive to where I need to be focusing my prayer energy/time for the given day or week. Thanks for your post and I'll plan to check back again on your blog.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home