Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Mommy's coming

The sun is out, the birds are singing, and my mommy’s coming for a visit today. Yay!

Mom lives across country, near to where I grew up. I haven’t seen her since September although we talk all the time.

We’re very different people. She’s quiet where I’m outspoken, bookish where I’m out dancing. But one thing we share is a deep and abiding love for Christian Science.

We share our stories of spiritual growth with each other, our insights, our conclusions. And it’s almost like her experiences happened to me, and vice versa. She used to laugh and say she was living vicariously through me. Which to me is how it feels when you share a spiritual story—you don’t have to experience it directly to get the benefit of the insight. A much more efficient way of learning!

She’s been the quiet presence of unconditional love in my life from day one (of course). With my already bizarre life fraught with missteps and drama, I can’t begin to imagine how things would have turned out if I hadn’t had the support of my faithful mother. It’s a support I can only return by paying it forward to my own kids, as I try to do as best I can.

So I’m eager for the trip to the airport this afternoon. You may be hearing Mommy stories all week.

A mother's affection cannot be weaned from her child, because the mother-love includes purity and constancy, both of which are immortal. Therefore maternal affection lives on under whatever difficulties. --Science and Health

Thank God!


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

3 Comments:

At 5/01/2007 01:36:00 PM, Blogger PtCakes said...

Safe travle to and from the airport. Looking forward to the stories.

 
At 5/01/2007 03:35:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

How wonderful for you both...I will think of you snuggling over tea and stories this week....have a wonderful time...love you, K

 
At 5/01/2007 03:44:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Terrific! I know you both will have a wonderful time together. Give her a hug from me!

Much love,
b

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home