Thursday, May 03, 2007

Divine law of mourning and comforting

I asked Mom yesterday for a spiritual idea I could share on the blog, and she replied with, “Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”

She’s been thinking about this a lot lately. A loss in her life caused her to feel a sense of mourning, but when she opened her thought to God’s presence, she began to see evidence of being comforted every day. Little things would happen or come to her to bring her peace. Eventually she could let go of the sense of loss and instead have only the comforting.

So we talked about the nature of mourning and comforting. Isn’t all of spiritual progress out of material existence the letting go of things we’re attached to? And isn’t mourning simply a feeling of transition from one state to another? I found this intriguing. If we never got attached to things physical, we’d never mourn.

For it’s only ever the physical form that we lose. A house, a job, a dear loved one. It’s only the physical form that is lost. And you know, that’s a good thing. Anything that forces us to think in more spiritual terms is good. The fact that materiality is impermanent, transitory, is the one thing that makes us seek the Divine.

The essence of the object of our love, be it the comfort and peace of home, the energized activity of a job, or the affection of a loved one, is spiritual. When we see that these are spiritual, we can never lose them. It is the fallacy of attaching them to their physical forms that causes us grief, and we mourn their supposed loss until comforted by the realization of Love’s ever-presence.

I love this equation. Mourning of things material leads to the comfort of a growing understanding of Spirit. It’s divine law, isn’t it? They *shall be* comforted—inevitable, reliable, permanent.

Maybe the Beatitudes are more than promises—maybe they’re divine laws. I’ll be thinking more about this.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 5/03/2007 07:52:00 AM, Anonymous Dennis R. said...

In thinking over my mourning over the loss of my dad, I think what I am mourning is the loss of what could of been. My dad had mental issues that hindered from enjoying life as he could have. I know he loved me and was proud of me, but he had problems expressing it. He had a problem where he withdrew so much that he just barely tolerated life especially in his later years.

There were things I wanted to do with him, but he just not enjoy much. He would engage me in conversations once in awhile, but on the whole was incapable of intimate interaction.

I think this is what I morn. It is the "if only's" that bring me grief.

 
At 5/03/2007 09:46:00 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Your post brought to mind this verse from Psalm 30: "Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;" Another very positive thought to relieve us of mourning. He *hast* done it!

Thanks, Laura and Mom, for these thoughts!
Much love,
b

 
At 5/03/2007 02:10:00 PM, Blogger PtCakes said...

Your post is so full of hope. Of the joy that is yet to come.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home