Thursday, April 12, 2007

Reformation cancels the crime

If the evil is over in the repentant mortal mind, while its effects still remain on the individual, you can remove this disorder as God's law is fulfilled and reformation cancels the crime. --Science and Health

This passage, in the Bible Lesson this week, is absolutely one of my favorite concepts in Christian Science. It exudes kindness and patience and forgiveness. It’s also straight math, completely reliable.

This worked in my life at a time when I’d made a pretty egregious mistake. I’d broken one of the Commandments and faced the prospect of many years of having to deal with the effects of my actions.

At first, I was scared to take this infraction to God. I was sure the bolt of lightning would come, and I’d fry. But when I realized I wasn’t strong enough to bear the weight of the consequences on my own, I knew I needed help from above. So I sucked it up and asked.

God’s response was clear—unconditional Love. There was nothing else. No anger, no withholding of good, no unsupportive judgment. Just Love.

It was then I realized the truth of the passage above. For I knew, in my heart of hearts, that I would never again do that which had gotten me into the situation in the first place. I had learned from my mistake—that particular sin no longer held any attraction to me. I had a change of heart so profound that my character was transformed.

Now, I couldn’t have made a case for myself with any human being—after all, I’d been committing that sin for a number of years and the immediate example was quite recent. Who would believe that I’d now forsaken it? But God knew.

I had the blessed feeling that my divine Father-Mother *could* read the sincerity of my heart, and knew that the change was real. I didn’t need to convince anyone else. I didn’t need to fear any longer. God would be at my side while I did what I had to do humanly to make the situation right.

I still had to take human action and to work hard to balance everything, for many years. But as the passage says, the “effects” of the evil were no longer there. I was free from it mentally, and so truly free on a spiritual level. I didn’t continue to feel any punishment, even while I had to work hard. It’s hard to explain. Reformation canceled the crime—I no longer felt guilty, which made me much freer in what I had to do next. It was like I was making up for the mistake of someone else, someone I loved dearly and was willing to help, rather than it being my own mistake anymore.

I saw this psalm the other day, and could see that the Psalmist had a similar experience.

Psalm 32

1 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
2 Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.
3 When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.
4 For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.
5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.
6 For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him.
7 Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.
8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.
9 Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.
10 Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the Lord, mercy shall compass him about.
11 Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.

Spiritual freedom from sin makes it possible to then clear things up humanly. Thank God.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 4/12/2007 11:42:00 AM, Anonymous Emily said...

You have no idea how much I appreciate this today, Laura.

 
At 4/12/2007 03:01:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

a very loving gift...hugs, K

 
At 4/14/2007 11:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't we all need to understand this at one time or another ... perhaps many times... in our lives ? Thank you so much.
love, Barb

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home