Thursday, April 05, 2007

The divine calm

Taking a break from questions to share some inspiration from yesterday.

I’m reading Psalms again, straight through, one per day, like I did last year. Yesterday’s was Psalm 29, which has these verses:

The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

The Lord sitteth upon the flood; yea, the Lord sitteth King for ever.

--Psalm 29

I’ve written before about visions I’ve had. (Here’s one.) In these visions, I’m often thrown into water or submerged in water or treading water. Water has come to symbolize fear to me in these little mini-stories that pack strong spiritual messages. By the end, I’ve always overcome the risks of being overwhelmed by the water and am in a safe place.

So I read these passages from Psalm 29 with new eyes yesterday. “The Lord sitteth upon the flood.” I loved that. He’s sitting on the flood of my fear. When I was a kid, that was a prime insult to throw around—“Sit on it!” (Does anyone else remember that?) When you sit on something, you keep it from moving, you immobilize it. Divine Love makes fear powerless. A powerless flood is no flood at all.

The image of “the voice of the Lord” sweeping over the waters, thundering over the confusion and calming it, is also very comforting to me today. God’s voice is like a perfect harmonic that works on chaotic upheaval to organize and smooth it. It resonates and brings everything into harmony with it. It is music that transforms the jagged and tempestuous into the calm, glasslike surface of peace.

One of my first postings almost two years ago was the Litany against Fear from Dune. Fear can come like a wave and make us feel we’re drowning in it. But God is there, on the surface, calming and sustaining. We can take a deep breath of that calm and get through it.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 4/05/2007 02:41:00 PM, Blogger John said...

Thank you for this post, Laura. I've been struggling with anxiety over the past week or so, so I loved your take on Psalm 29.

I've never equated water with fear, although water is often equated with emotion so that makes perfect sense.

 
At 4/05/2007 09:04:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I love this image of the Lord (Mrs. Eddy translates that one word...Lord...as Love in her spiritual translation of the 23rd Psalm) sitting on sweeping over, breathing on.. the water...

It reminds me of what happens when you pour olive oil (S&H defines this as "Consecration, charity, gentleness, prayer, heavenly inspiration) in the pot of boiling pasta water...it all calms down and although the pasta still cooks it does so without splashing and spitting.

So...for me this means that when I am feeling like things are boiling over...with fear, or emotions, or a frantic sense of rushing about madly...all I have to do is pour my love (reflecting His Love...) out as oil (consecration, gentleness, etc) on the water and whatever seems to be roiing on the surface will become calm...I love this...thank you...love, love, love you...K

 
At 4/05/2007 09:12:00 PM, Anonymous Heather said...

I think the sea itself was to reflect a chaotic element in the OT. One such translation of Genesis 1 is God calming the primordial chaos.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home