Friday, March 02, 2007

Overnight healing—a positive approach to prayer

Healing for me often comes when I change my internal dialog. What am I telling myself, and consequently, what is filling my thinking? I've seen that what I think has an impact on what I experience.

Yesterday I felt the symptoms of a cold start up. A little scratch here, a runny nose there, and some explosive sneezes at my writer's group (and lots of "bless you!"s). I was concerned that this was the third night this week I'd been out, and I have another planned with a girlfriend tonight. Also, this morning is my networking meeting, where I’m president, so I have to be there bright and early to run the show.

I went to bed with all this on my mind. Sure enough, around 1am, I woke up with all the uncomfortable symptoms in full swing. I tossed and turned for a long while, trying this and that, but not being able to sleep. Finally the idea came that I could, after all, pray about this. Funny how it takes so long to figure that out! I thought, Right! I can pray!

So I started in what I might call my usual way—I do not have a cold, I am not having a hard time sleeping, because God is with me, etc. Then I stopped myself. Why was I spending all this effort focused on the negatives? Because even if you're negativing the negatives, that's still a lot of negativity.

I changed my internal dialog. I am healthy, I am rested, all is well, God is with me. I embraced health rather than denying sickness. I acknowledged resting in God's love rather than ruminating over the lost sleep. I made my thinking 100% positive.

This had the effect of cheering me up instantly, and lessening my worry. I was smiling as I drifted back off to sleep. When the alarm went off at 5am, I luxuriated in the sensation of freedom from the cold—it had lapsed away to almost nothing, and one authoritative nose-blow took care of that.

A positive approach is a powerful tool, I recommend it.

So, it's off to the meeting! Have a great weekend, everybody.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

4 Comments:

At 3/02/2007 08:41:00 AM, Anonymous Sandy in Utah said...

Lovely healing, Laura. Your decision to concentrate on the truth of the situation, rather than the falsity of the belief, reminded me of something a practitioner told me recently. The analogy will probably be familiar to anyone who has attended (or taught) a Christian Science Sunday school class. She suggested that instead of solely denying that two plus two equals five, it's more important to concentrate on why it has always equaled (and will always equal) four. Thus, while denial of the error is an important part of a Christian Science treatment, the affirmation and understanding of Truth is even more essential.

 
At 3/02/2007 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Steve said...

I completely agree. Having to deal with a very scary condition wherein there is no known medical treatment, I have changed my attitude out of necessity. I feel that focusing on appreciating what I have is far more important than worrying about what I may or may not lose.

 
At 3/02/2007 12:58:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Lovely! Very clear example of healing prayer. Thanks! Is reminding me of a conversation we had a couple of years ago about purity - it isn't what we don't have but all the good that we do have that makes us pure and leaves no room for bad, negative elements. I've found this helpful to reflect on at times like you experienced last night, when I get too focused on denying the disease as real and wakes me back up to focusing on the good and true.

 
At 3/02/2007 01:40:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Boy...if it we aren't the pair...our thoughts are so in sync...so are our posts today...only you have the skill to say it in so so so many fewer words...great healing...such clear concise points...why does it always take me so long to get there?!?! thank you soo much for this...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home