Friday, March 09, 2007

"I'm good."

One last installment on this goofy goodness cycle I'm experiencing this week: "I'm good."

I've adopted this turn of phrase wholeheartedly. I find it comes in handy at holiday parties or professional mixers, where kindly hosts urge decadent confections when you're doing your best to stay balanced. I can smile and say warmly, "I'm good, thanks," and then go on to praise how wonderful it all looks. I don't have to say the dreaded, "No, thank you" and sound like a party pooper, and I can be appreciative and positive.

It’s the positive side of the message I love. Stating your own goodness, meaning that you're happy and satisfied and glad to be there, has its own spiritual power. You're not denying yourself anything or turning down the person's offer. Rather, you're appreciating their kindness while being conscious of your own well being. They become conscious of it too and invariably smile back. I love the transaction.

It's basically another way of saying, "All is well." Dear Kate commented for me the other day by paraphrasing the Bible, "It is well with the child." Good is God, and God is good. When I say that, I don't mean that good is an attribute of God, but that God is good itself. Good is what God is made of—God is the substance of good. Good fills all space, is eternal and constant, has all power and works on the Principle of Love. And we are the image and likeness of that all-encompassing good.

When you claim and accept the status of good, you're that much closer to experiencing it. I'd go so far as to say that your statement of the presence and power of good can even be the turning point that brings you the harmony you seek.

So when I say this next, you'll know what I mean—

Have a good one!

See you next week.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

4 Comments:

At 3/09/2007 09:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure if you see "good" and "goodness" as separate things, but "goodness" IS an attribute of God (see S&H 465). But I know what you're saying about God's substance is good. His essence is good. Spirit is good and is infinite. So All is good, including this day!

Vicki

 
At 3/09/2007 02:41:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

oh my goodness....well, I can tell you one thing I am sure of...when I have the opportunity to read your words I will NOT let the tray pass with a grateful "I'm good"...call me a glutton...but I always want more of what you have to say to the world... love you sweetie...and you ARE good...a good freind, a good mom (by the way have a great Spring Break with Chris) a good everything the All-in-allness of God's goodness...love you..

 
At 3/10/2007 11:35:00 AM, Blogger FatCharlatan said...

Ha! "I'm good" is my catch-phrase as well.

Of course, it doesn't always work.

Once a colleague (he's a lawyer--teaches writing) asked me if I wanted coffee. I said, "I'm good, thanks." He said, "I know you're good, but do you want any coffee?"

:)

 
At 3/12/2007 12:45:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

love your goodness! thx for the post!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home