Wednesday, March 28, 2007

How to share spiritual healing

Carrie left me a question yesterday:

When I'm talking about the ideas [of Christian Science], people want to know how it has worked in the past for other people, and I always find myself hesitating a little, because while I have my own healings to talk about, I wish I could point them to specific examples of things that have happened for other people and why. But I'm rather shy of the healings I've heard in church just because I don't know if I can honestly say I relate to the people individually. How do you handle people looking for examples?

This is an interesting dilemma, actually. Of course, we want to give compelling examples of healing, yet each case is so individual. When an inquirer asks about a particular condition (which usually they or someone they love most likely is suffering with), we could perhaps find an instance of the healing of that condition, but it doesn’t mean the spiritual treatment would be the same for them. So I don’t usually try to match condition with condition when I share healing stories.

Some things I try to remember when sharing:

  • Share your own experiences. These are the most compelling, because 1) you’re right in front of the person and they know you’re telling the truth and 2) you can give details about the spiritual insight that helped you and why you turned to spiritual healing in the first place.
  • Point out the last chapter in Science and Health. The healings in Fruitage are quite down-to-earth, and range from brief summaries to full-tilt explanations of spiritual growth. The testifiers are from all walks of life and all over the world. There’s a lot in there for inquirers to sample.
  • Don’t make it sound like magic. Be sure to include an explanation of the healing agent, i.e., the new spiritual idea that transformed you or the person who had the healing. Just saying, “I prayed and then I was healed,” is nice, but it doesn’t show the *how* of spiritual healing.
  • Include what you learned. Ancillary to the prior point, this is the element of healing that is truly universal and can be applied to any condition. If you gained a deeper understanding of, say, divine Love’s never ending care for you, be sure to share this when telling your story. The person might then go away thinking of that point rather than the condition they asked about, which brings them one step closer to understanding the mental nature of healing.

So I guess to answer Carrie’s question directly, I don’t often refer to other people’s healings when giving examples unless the people are very close to me. Unless I can answer the detailed questions that often come up about a particular healing example, sometimes a claim of healing that I didn’t actually eyewitness can add to the inquirer’s incredulity. I’d always want to be able to refer inquirers to a written source, such as another writer’s blog or the Christian Science magazines so they can read for themselves. It’s too easy to get the details wrong on healings I only heard once.

I think one of the most important aspects of this is that each of us who practice spiritual healing needs to speak up and tell our stories. There is so much healing going on that goes unrecorded. Being at-the-ready to share from our very lives makes a compelling case to those intrigued by the possibilities. Sometimes I’ll hear people say that their healings aren’t “good enough” to share, but this is false! Often it’s the gentler examples that make the most sense to inquirers, rather than always telling the earth-shattering ones.

What does everyone else do when sharing?


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home