Monday, March 12, 2007

How to be happy—argue with yourself

Here's some to the point words from Mary Baker Eddy re: happiness, which I found in my study this weekend:

If you wish to be happy, argue with yourself on the side of happiness; take the side you wish to carry, and be careful not to talk on both sides, or to argue stronger for sorrow than for joy. You are the attorney for the case, and will win or lose according to your plea. --Christian Healing, p. 10

"Argue with yourself" about happiness. Interesting! It's not enough to simply want to be happy, to yearn for it. We've got to make the case for it.

Some arguments for the case:

  • Do I deserve to be happy? Yes! I'm a child of the Divine, with every right to all the joy, fulfillment, energy and expression given to me at the moment of creation. Happiness has been given to me as a gift by God, and I don't have the power to obviate that gift.
  • Can I be happy? Yes! As the direct expression of the Divine, I can let the flow of happiness surge right through me. It's not something I manufacture, but something I experience. It's like the sunlight, shining on all of us equally. I can stand in the sun, basking in it.
  • Do I want to be happy? Yes! Happiness is my natural state, not something foreign or unusual. I embrace it eagerly, and accept its place in my life. I can do nothing to resist it—it is irresistible.
  • Am I happy? Yes! I have all the blessing and inspiration ever created right at my fingertips. I am happy now.

And, lest you think arguing this way is selfish, consider this additional passage from MBE:

Happiness is spiritual, born of Truth and Love. It is unselfish; therefore it cannot exist alone, but requires all mankind to share it. --Science and Health

Once you've argued successfully for your own happiness, you will radiate it forth and share it with everyone around you. You owe it to yourself and to those close to you to be a beacon of happiness that shines non-stop.

Make the case for happiness today—you're sure to win.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

5 Comments:

At 3/12/2007 10:21:00 AM, Blogger Kate said...

I'm with you girlfriend...Eddy's statement "Happiness is spiritual..." was a wakeup call for me over a year ago...the thought that if happiness is spiritual that it must have the quality of omnipotence...that it was a POWER operating in me...in the universe...and not just a choice...or based on circumstances...was quite a kick in the rear...

I started yielding to happiness...letting happiness govern...seeing happiness as also omnipresent...as supreme...

i love that Youtube video of the Laughing Yogi...I had it linked on one of my blogs a last year...but if you go to You Tube and type in Laughing Yogi you can find it..."I'm so happy I'm alive",,,is his message...it is the basis of his healing yoga practice...

practicing happiness as a law can be FUN!!!! have fun dear friend...with your son this week!!!!

 
At 3/12/2007 04:38:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks, Laura, for pointing out this quote from MBE. Was not familiar but will be VERY helpfu. And thanks, Kate, for the comment you shared about happiness! Never linked happiness with omnipotence, though a natural. And with your comments last week, Laura - "It's all good," "I'm good," how can we not be happy??!!

Hugs,
b

 
At 3/13/2007 11:34:00 PM, Blogger Maria said...

I know I recently posted this quote on Kate's blog, but it seems to bear repeating here. It seems to me that Mary Baker Eddy says that happiness is one of the keys to salvation: "Thus may each member of this church rise above the oft-repeated inquiry, What am I? to the scientific response: I am able to impart truth, health, and happiness, and this is my rock of salvation and my reason for existing." So as Bobby McFerrin in his easy-going contagious way whistles and sings, "Don't worry; be happy!"

 
At 3/14/2007 10:32:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

great post! - i linked to this on my post today.

 
At 3/14/2007 01:05:00 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

Great quotes and a good "how to" on arguing for happines. Thanks for addressing this so well.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home