Thursday, February 15, 2007

You can't believe your eyes

Big BFO* yesterday regarding a Bible passage I've read a million times and am just now realizing I never understood.

"Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not?" (Mark). This passage from Jesus occurs in one of my favorite Bible stories. It cracks me up that the disciples think he's chastising them because they forgot the groceries. And he's all, Hello, were you there when I fed the five thousand?

Mark 8:10-21

10 ¶ And straightway he entered into a ship with his disciples, and came into the parts of Dalmanutha.
11 And the Pharisees came forth, and began to question with him, seeking of him a sign from heaven, tempting him.
12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.
13 And he left them, and entering into the ship again departed to the other side.
14 ¶ Now the disciples had forgotten to take bread, neither had they in the ship with them more than one loaf.
15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod.
16 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have no bread.
17 And when Jesus knew it, he saith unto them, Why reason ye, because ye have no bread? perceive ye not yet, neither understand? have ye your heart yet hardened?
18 Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember?
19 When I brake the five loaves among five thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? They say unto him, Twelve.
20 And when the seven among four thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? And they said, Seven.
21 And he said unto them, How is it that ye do not understand?

Here's what I was reading yesterday that led to the BFO (again, I've read this passage a million times):

Jesus mapped out the path for others. He unveiled the Christ, the spiritual idea of divine Love. To those buried in the belief of sin and self, living only for pleasure or the gratification of the senses, he said in substance: Having eyes ye see not, and having ears ye hear not; lest ye should understand and be converted, and I might heal you. (Science and Health)

I think I'd always read this literally. Like, You've got eyes but you're not seeing. But yesterday for the first time, I read the meaning as more like, Because you're believing what your material eyes are showing you, you're not seeing. Because you're listening to what your material ears are telling you, you're not hearing. Material eyes don't help us see spiritual reality; material ears don't help us listen for what the Divine is telling us.

So perhaps this is "see without the eyes" day, or "listen without the ears." A day to become deaf and blind to the material evidence, and see and hear only Spirit.

That "sounds" like a great day. I can't wait to "see" what will happen!

*Blinding Flash of the Obvious


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 2/15/2007 06:42:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

that's such an intriguing passage, isn't it? Seems like it is a snapshot into the daily life of Jesus and his disciples. And always makes me marvel at his patience and persistence! How frustrating it must have been to have your closest companions, the ones you knew were going to have to carry on your mission after you were gone, not getting it, even after these amazing things that were going on all the time around them.

I always like to think about the definitions of "eyes" and "ears" in the Glossary of Science and Health when I read this passage:

EARS. Not organs of the so-called corporeal senses, but spiritual understanding.

EYES. Spiritual discernment,--not material but mental.

And try to remind myself that I need to be using these "eyes" and "ears" to discern and understand what is really going on. Thanks for the fun reminder!

Hugs,
b

 
At 2/15/2007 10:26:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I love your Blinding Flashes of the Obvious moments...and whenever I am not sure "where" spiritual seeing and hearing "happens" I remember what those BFOs feel like and WHERE they seem to be happening...and it isn't anywhere even close to any of those 4 holes in my head!

love you, K

 
At 2/16/2007 03:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It also occurs to me that the Pharisees are completely oblivious to what is right under their noses - that Jesus IS the sign.
There's more than one way to be not getting it. Like in the parable of the Prodigal Son, neither brother is getting the UNCONDITIONAL nature of God's love, even though they are "not getting it" in completely different ways.
By the way, I'm glad you defined BFO at the end. It was puzzling me :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home