Monday, February 12, 2007

Fabulous Sabbath

It took almost a year, but I finally had what I consider to be a genuine Sabbath day yesterday. I had vowed to try it last March when I first became inspired about it, but one thing after the other got in the way. I stayed open to it though.

My Sabbath day yesterday went from sun-up to sunset. My bedroom window faces east, and the sun touches my face each morning. Yesterday, I came out of my slumber with an extraordinary spiritual impulse, unbidden but so welcome. My dream state coalesced to a startling inspiration that I needed for a situation I've been praying about. It was, "Spirit is your substance."

Saying it like this doesn't convey the flood of light experiencing this idea brought to me yesterday morning. The idea came from without and within, filling me and radiating from me. I felt such joy at the conviction that Spirit is my substance. I took this and applied it to the situation that needed it, and it fit like a glove. I've seldom be so certain about a spiritual truth.

And that just launched my day. I wanted the entire day to stay in this holy space. First, I hopped out of bed to email the one I'd been praying about. Then I spent time with the Bible and Science and Health, looking up every reference to "substance." I gathered many passages and printed them out for later in-depth study.

At that point, I really wanted to go somewhere to worship. I've never felt that urge before. Church has often been a pleasure, but mostly a duty. Yesterday I yearned for the first time to join with a congregation to worship and contemplate this idea more deeply. You might think then that I went to the church where I'm a member. But somehow this didn't occur to me. I didn't really want to see people I knew, I didn't want to socialize. I wanted the feeling of inspiration to stay clear. So I got myself dressed and drove off to the Quaker meeting up the street.

There, I sat in silence with the congregation before the roaring fire, going deeper and deeper into the contemplation of the idea I'd been gifted with that morning. Spirit is our substance. We are made of Spirit. We are filled with Spirit. Again, it's hard to describe the feeling of inspiration, but it was very meaningful to me.

Unlike the last time I visited the Quaker meeting, this time some of the people spoke. One woman talked about sharing with another what Quaker spirituality is all about, and her own questioning of it. Another spoke of feeling the presence of Love at two events she attended. So my heart began to beat faster and my breath get shallower, because I knew I had to speak as well. I'd been given this gift and I had to share it. So I got up my courage and told how I'd woken up that morning with the inspiration that Spirit is our substance. That's really all I said.

For the last few minutes of the meeting, the children came up and joined us. Squirmy, cheerful little ones filling all the nooks and crannies of the benches between "their" grownups. They knew how to be silent, but not still. It was very sweet. Afterward, of course, everyone greeted me and I made a few new friends.

My Sabbath continued with having lunch with a very good friend who is also spiritually minded. I told her of my experience and we discussed a wide range of spiritual issues over soup and sandwiches.

When I got home, I still had the treat of my conference call Sunday School class that I teach for kids who are too far away from a local Sunday School to attend. That conversation rocked! We got very deep on some important issues, and I felt like I was making sense in a new way on some spiritual concepts. I also told them about my morning, with one of them responding, "Sweet!"

The rest of the afternoon until sunset was devoted to first studying those passages on substance that I'd gathered in the morning and then working on the book I'm writing about spirituality and parenting. As the afternoon darkened, I went back to finishing my laundry.

What I love about that day is I was genuinely focused on God, all day. Every activity, every conversation, was imbued with divine purpose. Fabulous Sabbath—not like I imagined one would be, but so much better.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

4 Comments:

At 2/12/2007 01:37:00 PM, Anonymous chris said...

this is HUGELY inspiring!

 
At 2/12/2007 08:03:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

sweet! love you...kate

 
At 2/13/2007 08:48:00 AM, Blogger FatCharlatan said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!

 
At 2/13/2007 02:48:00 PM, Blogger PtCakes said...

Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home