Thursday, January 18, 2007

Only as much as you need

The other day I was startled by the sound of raucous chirping. Hundreds of birds in a flock (they were grackle-type) had descended on my backyard, and were pecking away at the grass and all my bird feeders. Amazed at this feathered scene, I didn't even mind that they were probably going to strip my yard bare and I'd have to replenish all the feeders.

But they didn't. They stayed for about ten minutes, nibbling and pecking, and then they all just looked around and took off. Together. Amazing. And it occurred to me that they had just eaten what they needed to get where they were going.

This was comforting to me somehow. They're on a journey, but they travel light. They just pick up what they need as they go. It's right there waiting for them when they get there, and what they need will be at the next stage as well.

It reminds me of Jesus' counsel: "Take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? … for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew).

Seeking the kingdom is the journey we're on. I reckon no one can really escape that journey, whether they'd call it that or not. The kingdom can be thought of as happiness, as success, as fulfillment, but in the end it's all the same destination. Jesus is giving us the road map to get there: acknowledge that it's about the Divine, and make it a first priority. And, he's telling us that everything will be okay on the way.

The comforting thing to me this morning is that Spirit doesn't store everything up to give to us when we get there. It's coming to us as we need it, constantly. Almost like little breadcrumbs strewn before sparrows, leading them across a park. Divine Love is leading us toward itself, supplying our needs and inviting us onward.

So then a corollary to this is that I don't need to be greedy. I'm going to have what I need, that's certain. So I don't need to hoard or take more than my share or waste resources. I can live in harmony with creation because we're all being cared for, as we go.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 1/18/2007 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

love this Luara...I love the sense of living in harmony with nature and its resources that it evokes...thank you, hugs, Kate

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home