Friday, January 26, 2007

Mind's intention for you

About a month and a half ago ago, I had a bit of a panic. Sometimes when I look too closely at cashflow, I get a bit, well, worried. Anxious. Stressed. Um, terrified. This was one of those times, compounded by it being end-of-year and Christmas and kid's plane tickets and traveling… etc. Inflow was just not matching outflow, and I didn't think I could do anything about it.

I made the standard cost-cutting moves and took another look at the numbers. It seemed the only option I had was to reduce the single biggest expense—housing. Meaning, I had to seriously start thinking about selling my house and downsizing.

Boy, did this bother me. I love my little house. It's all snug and bright and filled with memories. The thought of packing up and moving gave me this nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I hated the idea, but thought I had to face reality and be a grown up. It's just a house, right?

My prayers at first were kind of desperate. What should I do, Lord? Where do you want me? What's best for the kids? I didn't instantly achieve peace, but I also didn't get any strong impulse to put my house on the market. I tried to stay willing and flexible, all the while wincing at the idea of moving.

Gradually, though, when the sky didn't fall and the earth didn't come to an end, I regained some calm. Some funds came in, for which I am very grateful. Also, I was glad to be reading through the Gospel of Matthew with my church. I spent some time with the "take no thought" section. It says, "Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? ... But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

While I can't claim to be 100% about seeking the kingdom of God all the time, it is a priority in my life. Could I just trust the equation then? That if I make righteousness-seeking a priority, all that I need will be there? This line of thinking allowed me to feel calm again. I began to breathe more easily, and to trust.

Then I got an idea. Two ideas, actually.

When my kids were home for Christmas, neither of them used the bedrooms. They either slept and hung out in the basement or at friends'. One day when I was praying, I was suddenly inspired by the idea of thinking of the house as an asset rather than a liability. I realized I had two empty rooms—this is actually an asset. What about getting a roommate? My first ad on Craig's List went up that day.

This idea really cheered me up. I felt blessed by abundance rather than strapped by limitation. One morning right after Christmas, I woke up to this wonderful warm sense of the presence of the Christ. I just did not feel alone, but partnered with the Divine. In my email box that morning were some responses to my ad. I haven't found a roommate yet, but I'm very encouraged by the response and feel it will happen soon enough.

Next, I got an idea for my writing business. Part of the problem was being a victim of my own success—I was getting in more writing work than I could handle. I was afraid I would have to start turning things away. I also wanted to keep time available for the spiritual work I do, like writing this blog and helping people through prayer. So, the idea came to network more with other writers. I began to investigate forming sort of a coalition of writers that I could find work for, blessing both them and me. The writers I approached with this idea were enthusiastic. We got the idea rolling last week.

Both of these ideas have expanded my universe. I now have a broader sense of the possibilities. I no longer feel trapped by the worst case scenario of having to move. There are always options.

The point of all this for me is just how powerful ideas are. It's divine Mind's intention that you express infinitude, not limitation, so it's sending the ideas you need constantly. I believe Mind is the source of all ideas, and that freeing your thought from fear allows you to become conscious of the idea you need when you need it.

Take a deep breath, calm your thought, trust, and listen. You are not alone. The idea you need is right there.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 1/26/2007 12:55:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

hey girlfriend...I want to be your roommate...wouldn't that be fun hot chocolate and Chocolat' (sense a theme here)...on a more serious note...this is a wonderful blog...thank you for sharing your unfolding journey of abundance with us all...hugs and kissies...k

 
At 1/27/2007 06:17:00 AM, Blogger PtCakes said...

Great advice. I used the "when the sky didn't fall and the earth didn't come to an end" philosophy in the past.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home