Wednesday, January 03, 2007

God's got it covered

This came in from a blog visitor last week:

I'm new to the whole thought process of Christian Science, and I never really understood how Principle fit in. I'm just looking to understand how it is used in this context, the rest I can comprehend and am working through understanding, but Principle baffles me completely!

If you could spare a minute of your time to give me some input I would more than appreciate it.

Thank you!

Principle, as you may know, is one of the seven synonyms for God used in Science and Health, the others being Mind, Soul, Spirit, Life, Truth, Love. The word is used in contexts like this:

Adhesion, cohesion, and attraction are properties of Mind. They belong to divine Principle, and support the equipoise of that thought-force, which launched the earth in its orbit and said to the proud wave, "Thus far and no farther."--p. 124

Harmony is produced by its Principle, is controlled by it and abides with it. Divine Principle is the Life of man. Man's happiness is not, therefore, at the disposal of physical sense. --p. 304

All things are created spiritually. Mind, not matter, is the creator. Love, the divine Principle, is the Father and Mother of the universe, including man. --p. 256

Principle is imperative. You cannot mock it by human will. Science is a divine demand, not a human. Always right, its divine Principle never repents, but maintains the claim of Truth by quenching error. --p. 329

The divine Principle, or Spirit, comprehends and expresses all, and all must therefore be as perfect as the divine Principle is perfect. --p. 518

I like to think of Principle as the Law. Not human laws, defined by a legislature or magistrate, but as analogous to physical laws that govern the universe, such as the law of gravity. Principle governs all creation, and is the force that keeps it all together and makes everything work. Principle is God's Law, which to me means that which cannot be disobeyed because it's simply the way things are.

What's amazing to me about this outlook is that it's not optional. In Christian Science, the conjecture that we have the option to be anything other than the perfect expression of the Divine is a total fallacy, an illusion. Perfection is defined by its Principle, which pervades all existence. If we exist at all, we exist within that perfect Principle and are governed by it. Imperfection does not exist, because it implies an imperfect creator.

This idea frees me to accept perfection about myself even as I work through the challenges I'm facing in the here-and-now. I know that perfection is 100% spiritual, so I become less pressured about trying to force perfectionism on the human scene. I'm more patient with my own foibles and those of others because I know they will fall away through an increased understanding of perfection, which will come in God's good time. In the meantime, I laugh a lot.

Principle helps me to laugh. Knowing that God's Law of Harmony is in operation, perfect and consistent, gives me the confidence and equanimity to relax. I can laugh when faced with the absurdities of human existence, since I know God's got it covered.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 1/04/2007 07:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this blog, Laura. I have finally realized the benefit of small changes in my own life, and how they gradually add up to big, significant changes.
A really helpful website on this theme of small changes is Flylady.net. It might be useful to any of your readers who, like me, struggle with a long-term sense of chronic untidiness and disorganisation.
Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home