Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Getting involved in politics

I have to admit the political swirl has caught my attention. Double headers of Hillary's Internet conversations and George's State of the Union have my inner debater going in full swing. What's right? What's wrong? Who knows?

As a tempering tactic, though, I'm also currently reading through this little pamphlet of Mary Baker Eddy's, The People's Idea of God. Last night I found this gem:

Proportionately as the people's belief of God, in every age, has been dematerialized and unfinited has their Deity become good; no longer a personal tyrant or a molten image, but the divine Life, Truth, and Love, — Life without beginning or ending, Truth without a lapse or error, and Love universal, infinite, eternal. This more perfect idea, held constantly before the people's mind, must have a benign and elevating influence upon the character of nations as well as individuals, and will lift man ultimately to the understanding that our ideals form our characters, that as a man "thinketh in his heart, so is he."

This reminds me of the survey I wrote about a few months ago, the one that showed that your concept of God has a pronounced relationship to what you believe politically and socially. To quote myself: "[Your concept of God is] a better predictor of where you might stand on the issues like stem cells or abortion or gay marriage than your region or party affiliation."

So it seems MBE has her finger on the pulse when she says that dematerializing and unfiniting (great word) the people's belief in God will have a "benign and elevating influence."

It's occurring to me this morning, then, that I could have more of an influence on the political debate if I spend my effort spreading MBE's concept of God. If we knew that divine Life, Truth, and Love are in control, what would our government look like? How would we care for our citizenry? How empowered would each individual be, how free from limits or prejudices? What would universal health care look like? Full employment? Equality?

Now that's a vision—to have all these things occur naturally and not need a human government to impose them. And it's all possible from a more spiritualized idea of God.

I'm going to vote. I might even volunteer for a campaign. But my real involvement has got to go deeper if I really want to make a difference for good. I can, myself, mentally "vote" for an uplifted concept of God, every day.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 1/24/2007 12:39:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I love that at the very end of your blog is the word "delicious"...cuz that's how I always feel....hugs, K

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home