Tuesday, December 05, 2006

My son gave me homework

I guess my son's school has assigned a project where you interview one of your parents. This kind of tickled me, so I thought I'd share my answers below. Unfortunately for him, my answers just give him more reading to do!

What if you had to answer these questions? What stories would you tell?

What spiritual stories have you had?

  • Too many to count! I've had lots of spiritual experiences, you could click around the HealingStories category on my blog. Find the category here.

What challenges did you face in your journey to where you are now?

  • My primary early challenge was trying to find love, and I looked for it in other humans. Eventually I came to learn that Love is God, and that's the only place I should look for it. Since then, my life has been MUCH happier. Here's a blog entry about one moment of that healing.

When you had to move, how did you travel, handle the cost, deal with change and uncertainty as well as fear and anxiety, and how did you feel and measure both challenges and rewards from it?

  • Wow, totally prayer! I also thrive on change, I love it. There is no progress without change, so I embrace change as an opportunity to grow. The move to LA was especially all about trusting God. I had saved the money, but then found out I was pregnant. I made the move to a new, more expensive city by knowing that God loved both me and the new child, as well as the daughter I already had. He would take care of me as a means of taking care of the children. And, in gratitude, I straightened up my life. Once in LA, I got a high paying job in one day, an apartment in the very competitive market of Santa Monica within one week, and a car right after that. I was all set. God stayed with us the entire time we were there. I became a practitioner in LA. See a blog entry that covers this.

Did you feel called or inspired by God?

  • You bet. All my writing feels inspired by God, as though He's got something to say to humanity and my fingers are just the ones getting it down.

How did you handle challenges of safety and well-being?

  • Most of these kinds of challenges happened in LA, when I would naively go into environments that weren't safe. God would provide an angel, often in the form of another person, to protect me. And then I'd learn how to act more wisely.

Were there moments of great doubt over choices and futures?

  • Actually, one of my challenges is that I *don't* feel doubt as much as other people do. I forge ahead, right into things. Sometimes this makes me have to "do over," but most of the time when I act as impelled without fear, it proves to be the right path.

What relationships sustained you? Both inside and outside of family? Did you find cheerleaders and detractors? How did you respond to each?

  • My mother is my greatest cheerleader. She believes in everything I do and supports me. Except once, she was upset with me because I was getting divorced. She was afraid for my daughter. We didn't speak much for a couple years. However, when I got pregnant again (see above) she was amazing! She just dropped everything to come out to LA to take care of me. And later she took the baby for summers to give me a break. That new baby healed that relationship, and now we're closer than ever.

  • Detractors I tend not to notice. In fact, I pretty much assume I'm making people angry all the time, because I do what I think is right without regard to opinion. I don't "color in the lines," so to speak, and a lot of people are bothered by that. See this blog entry for a particular story.

Did you ever experience a particularly challenging "test" of faith in your decision? Did it demand a willingness to sacrifice something precious to you?

  • Funny, I was just talking about this with my mom the other day. I've never doubted Christian Science. My tests of faith have been about my own ability to practice it, not about the Science itself. One time, in getting over trying to find love in another person, I had to be willing to let go of sensuality. But what I got in return for giving it up was amazing. Here's the story.

Were there Hagar-like moments of feeling alone, without resources and supply? How did you handle such wilderness moments?

  • Gratitude is the only answer to this temptation. We have all abundance from God right now, and gratitude allows us to recognize that. Here's the toothpaste story as an example.

Now, I can't wait to see his paper!


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 12/05/2006 11:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Laura. I enjoyed reading all - even the related blogs. I know that I need to continue loving my child and knowing that God will mould him and exalt him. I cannot judge him or his actions, knowing that God will direct him.

 
At 12/05/2006 02:22:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

What a hoot! I just laughed out loud with your comment about assuming that you make people mad all the time.

You have have authenticity and originality - and all of us (readers of your blog)benefit from your straightforward spiritual insights!

Love,

Kim

 
At 12/05/2006 08:32:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

love this exercise....love you...thanks for sharing your answers...hugs, Kate

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home