Monday, December 18, 2006

Kids are home!

Ho, ho, ho! For a great way to say Merry Christmas,
check out the options in Support the Blog.

Yay! They're home!

My son got home last Thursday, and my daughter arrived last night. *Sigh.* We cuddled up to watch TV as Mom got sleepier and sleepier. Heavenly.

Both of them are working very hard and have grown so much. Son's grades at his private school are in the B+ range, and daughter just ground through a million excruciating final art projects. They both look healthy and strong and happy. My only passing wish is that they would go to bed at 10 and wake up at 6, but I’m dealing with it.

My son wrote a paper for school recently about *moi* no less, and I just wanted to share one part with you (with his permission):

After [my mom's] business started to grow, we had our toughest year of all. My sister was going to college and I was falling into a mental pit of my own. I had friends that my mom didn't approve of, and I didn't care. I should've listened to her and stayed away from them, but the temptation was too great and too amusing and fun for me. I started smoking and drinking. She dealt with it the best she could, she went to great measures to get me to quit. It took some months, and it was a very hard journey for me, but my mom was there the entire time.

I feel as if my mom was reflecting God’s care and love for me because she was always there, and she always will be.

Not a bad Christmas present, if you ask me.

He's touching on something I've always believed—that I merely fill the office of "Mom" in their lives, but God is their real Mother. My role as mom here is to demonstrate to them a bit of what they can expect from God. Of course I can only do a fraction of it, and eventually they outgrow that fraction and need more. That's when my hope would be that they make the transition from relying on me to relying on God. Our relationship then segues into a deep abiding friendship and enjoyment of each other.

And that's what it feels like today. This Christmas may be leaner than some others have been, but it's shaping up to me to be the best Christmas ever.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

3 Comments:

At 12/18/2006 08:29:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

wonderful wonderful and wonderful again!

Welcome home to your kids!!!

 
At 12/18/2006 09:16:00 PM, Blogger ObiDonWan said...

This is a wonderful moment for you, may it extend into eternity.
-ObiDon

 
At 12/19/2006 01:27:00 AM, Anonymous rev. Veronika said...

How about the other way round? How do you children express God for you?
Love, Veronika

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home