Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Hallelujah Chorus

As you may remember from last year, Thanksgiving Day is the day I pop Christmas music into my car CD player and listen to it exclusively for all of December as I drive around. I've got recordings from my high school choir holiday concerts, a campy 70's Christmas carol album known as "The Little Drummer Boy," and Handel's The Messiah.

Here's a version of The Hallelujah Chorus from The Messiah, just so you have it handy (aren't they great?):


Zion Lutheran Church, New Creation Choir
Spring Concert 06


We sang that piece in high school, although we didn't record it. It's embedded in my Christmas psyche along with the Grinch and Charlie Brown.

Every year when I spend that time in the car with The Messiah, I think again about the wondrous appearance of the Christ on earth. Today I thought I'd explore what that means to me.

When I'm singing that "King of Kings, and Lord of Lords," along with the chorus, I'm not actually thinking of the human Jesus. The Messiah to me moves seamlessly back and forth between revering the human Jesus and what he went through and the Holy Christ that Jesus embodied. As you may know, The Messiah is made up of Bible verses ranging from the Old Testament prophecies through Jesus' birth, death and resurrection in the New Testament, all the way to the final prophecies of Revelation. It's kind of Jesus' biography in song.

The Hallelujah Chorus is from that final book of the Bible, and declares the appearing of the kingdom of God.

Hallelujah!
For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
The kingdom of this world is become
the kingdom of our Lord, and of His Christ,
and He shall reign forever and ever.

To me, this is a statement of the reality of being. God, Spirit, reigns, and is all. Christ, not person but idea, is that property of Spirit's being that extends through all space and encompasses us as God's idea. Christ to me is the atmosphere of Love, the breath of Life. We live and move and have our being in it. Christ is the essence of the reality we move through as spiritual beings.

So when I'm singing at the top of my voice along with the choir in my car, I'm singing about present reality. I'm singing about the presence of the Christ there with me in the car, and everywhere. I'm glorifying the omnipotence of God and His Christ as *now.*

And this presence is infinite Love. Love filling all the roadways and towns, all the mountains, valleys, streams and forests.

That's what the season means to me. Christ is here now. Jesus came to show it to is, and it can never be taken away. It is omnipotent, omnipresent.

I spend the month letting my heart swell with this conviction every year. It never gets old. Christmas Eve will find me with the music filling my house until around midnight, as I sit by the tree and stare at the lights, delighting in the Christ appearing again and always.

Merry Christmas, everyone. May the Christ appear for you, whatever you conceive that to be, and may you feel the presence of Love throughout the season.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 12/13/2006 09:53:00 AM, Blogger Kate said...

hi from the other Christmas music fanatic....I too love every carol, Allelujah, and "and heaven and nature sing"...and I love you...Merry Christmas sweetie...Hugs, Kate

 
At 12/13/2006 11:21:00 AM, Blogger athos said...

Well said, laura...this articulates exactly my feelings (and fullness!) about the Hallelujah chorus every year. it just wells up inside and i know in those moments that the Christ is the reality of my life and ALL life.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home