Tuesday, December 12, 2006

DaVinci Code and the true story of Jesus

Okay, I’m coming a little late to this party, but I finally saw The DaVinci Code on DVD over the weekend with a friend. True to my usual, I didn't like it as well as the book. It seemed to me that it copped out here and there to be more palatable to the "faithful." Afterward, my friend and I discussed some of the points, like was Jesus married and did Mary Magdalene flee with his child over to France, and basically we agreed that we couldn't see what the big deal was one way or the other.

I think essentially this: If your faith in the mission of Jesus is based on doctrine, it can be rattled by things like this book/movie. Having someone point out yet again that there's things about the early history of the Christian movement that we'll never know for sure can rock your world if your convictions are dependent on a particular subsequent interpretation of Bible stories being fact.

However, if your reverence for Jesus and his message comes more from the spiritual side, things like his marital status or the existence of progeny don't make any difference. The ability to live the life the Messiah came to show us then comes from inspiration, not doctrine.

Mary Baker Eddy says this: "The divine Science taught in the original language of the Bible came through inspiration, and needs inspiration to be understood" (Science and Health).

I've seen that the meaning of the Biblical teachings for me has evolved as my own spiritual journey has progressed. For example, when I was a child, I really loved the idea of those animals going two-by-two into Noah's ark. I loved the idea that God was looking out for each of His creatures.

Now, as an adult with some Biblical study under my belt, I no longer believe in the literal two-by-two story. Yet I still retain the inspiration that the symbolism of the story gives me, that of God's protection and the ark idea of safety. And I still cling to the promise that God will never allow total world destruction, even as my eyes are opened to things like global warming and weapons of mass destruction. We need to address these things, but with the power of divine Spirit, we will overcome them. I think that's the spiritual meaning of the Noah story, which is valid to me whether two giraffes and two hippos walked up a ramp into an ark or not.

So what is the true story of Jesus? To me, it's whatever rings true to you when you read it yourself. I have convictions now based on a lifetime of experience with demonstrating the spiritual truths Jesus revealed, and these can't be shaken by Dead Sea Scrolls or the Gospel of Thomas or an exploration of the Knights Templar. Any new historical evidence is just that—historical. It can't impact the present-day effectiveness of the genuine, universal, spiritual ideas that underlie the Biblical stories.

I think we're meant to have our own individual relationship with the Bible—to read it with understanding and inspiration, and to find the meaning for ourselves, today. The Bible is living and interactive. Read it for yourself and let it speak to you.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

3 Comments:

At 12/12/2006 04:43:00 PM, Blogger ObiDonWan said...

I had more conflicts with DA VINCI CODE than you. Especially the part that had the heroine's guardian involved in sexual pagan ceremonies.

 
At 12/12/2006 08:12:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

well, it did turn out in the book anyway that the two people involved in the ritual (which was a celebration of the masculine and feminine signifying completeness) were actually married to each other.... the movie didn't stick with that at all. another reason I like the book better.

 
At 1/04/2007 05:43:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

[to the dear person from Australia who's been posting to this entry -- I appreciate your ideas, but I'm sorry to say I simply can't keep them here since the profanity does not match the tone I'm trying to cultivate on this blog. best wishes.]

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home