Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmas preparations

As of right now, here's how prepared the Matthews household is for Christmas:

  • One tree, undecorated, stands in the living room. Ornaments not even up from the basement.
  • Only two Christmas films viewed (Miracle on 34th Street and While You Were Sleeping). Grinch, Charlie Brown and It's a Wonderful Life still to come.
  • I personally have not purchased a single present, if you don't count the ones for business purposes. (We're planning an Amazon fest perhaps over the weekend—better late than never.)
  • No groceries yet obtained for the Christmas turkey dinner (which we're having to make up for not being together on Thanksgiving).
  • Nary a Christmas card mailed, not even to family.

I've been a total slacker this year. True, there is a box of See's Candy in the house. My mom sent us her chocolate chip cookies. And dear friends and family have sent gifts. But those are the only visible nods to the fact that Christmas is barely three days away.

Yet strangely I feel quite merry. There's a peace and contentment settling over the house that I can't quite describe. I've got my two favorite people here with me, and we're doing gentle, unstructured things together as the opportunity presents itself. I remain in love with my little house and the life I'm leading. I've got work to do that I enjoy and friends who matter to me.

This quietness, this contentment, this peace. Christmas snuck in here somehow, with the presence of the Christ Spirit.

I was talking with some friends the other day about the Christ. We agreed that for us, it's so much bigger than the symbol of the baby in the manger. Christ is the property of God's creation that connects us to Him—the atmosphere we all move in together, the essence that makes us one. If God is infinite light and we are His reflection, Christ is the sunbeam that makes the reflection possible. Christ is the way God touches His creation. Christ is God's tender embrace of us all.

So, is it possible to welcome something that's been here for ages? I feel like I've had this spiritual guest in the house for some time now and I'm only just now seeing it sitting there, smiling.

"Merry Christmas!" I say to it, as it glows. And it twinkles back, brightly shining.

p.s. I may or may not be posting on Monday or Tuesday next week, due to traveling. Have a blessed weekend!


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 12/22/2006 12:37:00 PM, Anonymous Emily said...

You're not far behind us. We got the tree up (aluminum, complete with color wheel) and spent a day shopping, which mostly involved making donations to various causes and having cards sent to friends and family, letting them know what we'd done. I haven't had time to make candy, the way I do every year, and I have no idea what we're doing for Christmas dinner. If I had to guess, I'd say it will probably involve a Dutch oven full of posole simmering on the woodstove. I don't care. We've mostly ducked the materialism that comes with the season, and I'm looking forward to spending my Christmas weekend catching up a few projects I've been neglecting. It's shaping up to be a peaceful holiday at our house.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home