Thursday, November 02, 2006

We can already laugh about it

Some of you may remember I was going through a rough patch with someone close to me a few months ago. There were times when things seemed quite desperate, as this person struggled with depression and self-destructive behaviors. Things changed, though, when I "let go and let God," and the person decided for themselves to straighten up.

We've had a couple conversations recently that I just feel compelled to share because they both brought me to tears.

A few weeks ago, I asked this person how things were going, especially in regards to the depression. I asked if they were still experiencing the "black pit" they used to describe to me. The person said firmly, "I'm walking around the edge of that pit now, looking down at it and laughing."

I caught my breath at this with such gratitude in my heart.

More recently we were talking and comparing notes about life, when something from last spring came up. The person joked with me about it and I groaned ruefully, "Oh, man, let's not talk about that!" So they replied, "Hey, remember you said there'd be a time when we'd look back on all this and laugh? Well, we're laughing about it now!"

When I said that, I was thinking about ten years from now. But this is just a few short months later!

So I'm amazed and grateful.

You know, laughing is a great way to see that a healing has taken place. In the story about the ringing in my ears, it was laughter that sealed the deal for me. Other times I've expressed dominion over a problem by laughing at it. "Shakes head and laughs" is a strong positive way to respond to the attacks of evil even as we're doing something about it. It shows nothing is keeping you down.

I'm reminded of the passage from Sarah in the Bible, when she finally has the baby she's been longing for her entire life: "God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me." --Genesis

So find something that bugs you today and bring some laughter to it. A laugh or two can help put things in perspective and strengthen you to deal with it more effectively. And, like me, you may find that laughter brings you tears of joy.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

3 Comments:

At 11/02/2006 07:38:00 AM, Anonymous Dennis (Big Raff) said...

"Let go and let God." This brings back memories. My wife and I at one time belonged to a support group for parents and relatives of drug addicts called Families Anonymous. We used that phrase a lot. We also used the Serenity Prayer.

Your reference about laughing brought to mind the time we are having our annual convention. We were sitting at the table and talking with other members. I was recounting some of my experiences with others. I was actually laughing about them. Someone commented on how I was able to laugh over these things. This was a sign of healing, not so much my daughter's but mine.

 
At 11/02/2006 04:51:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Hey there....if laughter is healing...and I believe that it is...you are one of my favorite sources of light!

 
At 11/04/2006 01:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE JEBUS!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home