Monday, November 27, 2006

Soaring higher

Have you ever watched a flock of birds in flight? This weekend for some reason was full of these sightings for me. My daughter and I saw many flocks of birds over Brooklyn and while driving back to Massachusetts. It's been a mild fall, so perhaps now they're migrating.

The birds would swoop and soar, changing color simultaneously from dark to light as their wings shifted orientation toward the sun. One especially huge flock seemed to go from solid to aeroform from moment to moment. The shapes would merge and expand effortlessly. Total harmony of movement, total unity, but dependent on each bird doing its part.

This coincided with some prayerful work I'd been doing on God's will. Sometimes I find myself on my spiritual journey trying to puzzle out what God wants me to do. Does He want me to do this or that? Usually I'm the most puzzled when there's something in particular that *I* want to do, and I'm trying to noodle out whether God wants me to do it, too. It's that feeling of wanting something so badly that you just want it to be right, for a change.

Lately, though, it's that hungry feeling I've begun to suspect is the problem. I can't figure out God's will by asking whether He agrees with me or not. What I need to do is get my own will out of the way entirely. I need to silence that human will, put it aside, sacrifice it. Then God's will is simply what's happening. My willfulness keeps me from seeing God's will.

It's like the birds. We are ideas in the flock of Mind, and it's Mind that enables us to sing and soar. We spread our wings and fly on the currents of Mind. If we start thinking too much—left now, or right?—we might find ourselves colliding. But when we release our own will and simply feel the current, harmonious flight becomes natural and safe.

God's will is that we exist in harmony, that we move through creation frictionless and free. My own will often puts me at odds with others. I want God to justify my position, to tell me that I'm doing the right thing. Funny, He seldom does. His message to me is instead, Peace, dear one. Trust Me.

Letting go of one's own will implies trust. Do we trust enough to know that the divine will is to give us all that we could ever want? Abundance and joy beyond our imagining?

I suppose recognizing what willfulness feels like is the first step in eradicating it, so at least I've got that going for me. And knowing that infinite Mind *wants* me to fly comforts me. I'll be able to soar higher on the winds of Mind than I ever could on my own.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 11/28/2006 09:44:00 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Hi Laura,
I liked this metaphor about the birds. We often forget about the big picture and how our piece fits in with God's plan. I especially like the line "God's will is simply what's happening." It makes sense that God is doing God's plan now, not waiting for us to do it. Thanks for sharing that thought.

Colin

 
At 11/29/2006 11:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,

When I read this post, I couldn't help but think "Somebody just read 'Jonathon Livingston Seagull'". I haven't read the book in years but I'd like to take another stroll through it. I remember thinking while I read this story "Wow, there's a lot of Science in this story." So I wasn't too surprised when I discovered later that the author was inspired by several well known "philosophies", CS being prominent among them. Thanks for rekindling my memories of this story.

-Brian

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home