Thursday, November 16, 2006

One being, or two?

@@@Reminder@@@
Sign up for the monthly Spiritual Open House conference call,
Sunday Nov. 19 at 4pm Eastern.

------------------------------

This came in from ObiDon in response to the recent entry that included St. Paul's "the good that I would I do not" musings:

[Laura's commentary on the Bible passage.] "To me, Paul's talking about the human selfhood when he's discussing sin. The physical body, the fleshly form. This can never achieve perfection—it's limited by definition to matter. But the inward man, the spiritual identity, is sinless, whole, pure, perfect, according to the law of God. The Christ, the divine manifestation of Truth, reveals the inward man and resolves the dilemma."

[ObiDon's question]: ok, through prayer I can perceive the inward man, my spiritual identity, and see it as perfect...but just HOW does that affect and heal the physical body, which is limited to being less than perfect? Eh?

Seems to me an answer may lie in that there are two ways of looking at one's connection to spiritual reality.

One way is to think of yourself as having two identities, a physical one and a spiritual one. The spiritual one is real and permanent, the physical one is temporary and fading. I think Paul was working through this concept of identity in the passage I quoted the other day. It's like he's talking about two distinct beings, his "members," and the "inward man."

Another way to look at it is to see oneself as *one.* I am one, whole, being, and my experience is shaped by the totality of my concept of that being. I am not two parts warring against each other. I am one whole, with an increased spiritual sense evangelizing the more limited aspects as I grow. At any point on my spiritual journey, I am experiencing more of my true nature and shedding the things that are less than perfect.

Paul description is accurate inasmuch as it's what most of us feel—a dichotomy, a good side and a bad side, if you will. But the second perspective is a description of what makes it possible to heal.

You could think of it like this: You may come to a point in your progress where you're faced with a discordant physical condition. This reveals that, in some way, the world thought around you or your own concept includes some belief that you are susceptible to that condition. But even though the physical body can never be perfect, it is available for improvement. As your concept improves, again either through uncovering a belief in your own thought or in understanding more deeply the nature of world belief, the body improves as well. You're not trying to heal a bad physical body. You're healing your concept of yourself, in thought, and the body falls in line because it is an externalization of the internal consciousness that governs it.

When I'm deeply in prayer for healing, it's the second perspective that helps me most. To me, we're not trying to achieve perfection physically—we can't, physicality will always be limited. But physicality is the canvass at this point on which we paint our improved consciousness. Increased physical harmony is a natural step as we grow spiritually, and heralds the time when we will lay physicality aside entirely.

I'd be delighted to hear from anyone if the above makes sense. And please, I hope further conversation ensues. What do you think?


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home