Wednesday, September 20, 2006

When doing a favor becomes a blessing

Remember that interfaith meeting from yesterday? That I was attending as a favor to a fellow church member? Well, it blew me away.

It was a small group of about fourteen or so. All different denominations of course. And it started out all chatty, with introductions all around and me saying I was subbing for someone.

Then the host handed out the devotional. As soon as I saw the words, I felt the tears welling up. It was a song written for a fifteen-year-old boy struggling with leukemia, from the point of view of the boy's father. (The boy is now a man, and the cancer is in remission.)

"He's My Son"
by Mark Schulz

I'm down on my knees again tonight,
I'm hopin' this prayer will turn out right.
See, there is a boy that needs Your help.
I've done all that I can do myself
His mother is tired,
I'm sure You can understand.
Each night as he sleeps
She goes in to hold his hand,
And she tries
Not to cry
As the tears fill her eyes.

Can You hear me?
Am I getting through tonight?
Can You see him?
Can You make him feel all right?
If You can hear me
Let me take his place some how.
See, he's not just anyone, he's my son.

Sometimes late at night I watch him sleep,
I dream of the boy he'd like to be.
I try to be strong and see him through,
But God, who he needs right now is You.
Let him grow old,
Live life without this fear.
What would I be
Living without him here?
He's so tired,
And he's scared
Let him know that You're there.

Can You hear me?
Am I getting through tonight?
Can You see him?
Can You make him feel all right?
If You can hear me
Let me take his place some how.
See, he's not just anyone, he's my son.

Can You hear me?
Am I getting through tonight?
Can You see him?
Can You make him feel all right?
If You can hear me
Let me take his place somehow.
See, he's not just anyone.

Can You hear me?
Can You see him?
Please don't leave him,
He's my son.

You can listen to the song for free here, if you download their little plug-in.

The host, pastor of First Assembly of God here in Framingham, played us the music as we all read along. I just became flooded with emotion—gratitude, really. It really put into words a lot of my spring and summer. So I simply sat there and wept, in this little band of strangers.

After the devotional, we all then went around the circle and introduced ourselves formally. Others were giving their thanks for the inspiration from the song, so when it was my turn, I just said, "I'm Laura Matthews, here on behalf of the Christian Science church. I'm a Christian Science practitioner. And I too want to say thank you for this song. I have a son who's fifteen and he was headed down the wrong path. Now, by the grace of God, he's all right. So I'm here to say that the answer to all these questions in the song is Yes. He does hear us, He does care, and He can make us feel all right."

The rest of the meeting was inspired as well, as we discussed some of the issues facing our town and what we'd like to see happen. The spiritual power expressed by this little group energized my day.

I'm so glad I went!


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 9/20/2006 08:24:00 AM, Anonymous Dennis R. said...

This is what I felt in dealing with my daughters drug addiction especially during her teen years.

She is now 29 years old and just completed a special four month program. She is now free from the desire for drugs and says she is no longer an addict. It has been a long road for her mother and me, and a real test of my faith in God.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home