Friday, September 08, 2006

Opposite-land

Went to my women's Lectio group last night. Hadn't been in a couple months, it was so good to see everybody and to meet some new people.

The worship leader gave us a fun task—write a psalm. Covering up all but the last line written, we each added a line. Here's how it turned out:

You are the Song in my Heart, with You I always have music.
I am exhausted and despairing but with my sisters I am loved and we laugh.
Show me Your kindness so that I can share it with others.
You are my light and my strength.
And the courage and power that bind me.
Love and joy will always be with me.
You are my Guiding Light to illuminate Your will for me.
As the sun rises shining your light through the sun setting leaving room for the quiet light of the stars, I will sing Your song always.

Nice, huh? It was a very peaceful evening of sharing inspiration, progress and challenges.

We also explored this Bible passage:

4 Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you.
5 Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.
6 Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.
7 And the parched ground shall become a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water: in the habitation of dragons, where each lay, shall be grass with reeds and rushes.

--Isaiah

Aside from hearing the words from the Messiah in there ("Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened…"), I was struck by the cause-and-effect. Say to fearful hearts, "Fear not," and then you'll find yourself in opposite-land. You can't just say it of course, you have to know and understand how and why it is that God will come and save you. But once you know this, and declare it to others, things change. The blind see. The lame leap. The desert blooms. All that was terrible becomes all that is wonderful. Opposite-land.

And how do we get to this state of fearlessness? The Bible tells us that, too. "Perfect love casteth out fear." Where there is Love, there is no fear. Love displaces fear.

Lectio always ends with an invitation. Mine I feel is to love more, and to look for fearful hearts to encourage and comfort. I'll be looking for that this weekend.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 9/08/2006 08:41:00 AM, Anonymous Dennis R. (Big Raff) said...

Thank you for that link. I had heard of that before, but had not read up on it for a while. That practice seems totally compatible with Christian Science. I would think that in addition to the Bible, you could use Science and Health or any sacred writings for that matter. The weekly Bible lesson would seem perfect for that practice.

Although not a Christian Scientist myself, I have been studying it on my own for some time now. Based on my study, it seems like the practice of lectio divina is a practical way to practice Christian Science.

 
At 9/08/2006 10:17:00 AM, Blogger athos said...

I LOVE the concept of Opposite-Land...the opposite of material sense. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home