Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Every healing is instantaneous

The phrase "instantaneous healing" represents somewhat of an ideal in Christian Science. Students learning to heal are often seeking how to do the "zap" that solves a patient's problems instantly.

Instantaneous healing to me is like a light bulb turning on. Thought is illumined fully and transformed, leading to the transformation of the condition to harmony. And it does happen. I've experienced it myself when calling a practitioner, and I've participated in the instant healing of a patient. As I look back over these instances, I see some attributes they have in common.

A spiritual readiness is often there, and a humility, along with a willingness to put aside fear and listen to something new. Sometimes the person has done their own prayer and study, which has brought them to the point of healing. Sometimes the practitioner's coaching brings them to that point, and their obedience to the practitioner's spiritual direction helps prepare them for the instant of healing.

So to me, every healing is instantaneous, although it may take some patience to get there. Truly, the transformation of thought that must occur takes only an instant, an "a-ha!," a "huh, I get it." It is in those instants of enlightenment that healing takes place, because that's when the mortal belief is yielding to Truth. The way has to be prepared for this enlightenment, and when it happens, healing occurs.

I remember one time I was praying for a patient with a severe case of poison ivy. I talked to her frequently, every day for several days. She was willing and obedient, listening to what I said about her true being and contemplating it sincerely afterward. She studied the passages I was also studying, and we discussed spiritual ideas as a team. We shared many moments of inspiration. The physical condition did not seem to yield, however.

But then we had one conversation where all the spiritual pieces fell together. A crystal clear idea startled thought. I had had it first in prayer, and then shared it with her. It was like the pinnacle of a spiritual structure we had been building together.

I remember the tone of her voice changing. She simply said, very thoughtfully, "Aah." I could practically hear the idea sinking into her being as she accepted it fully. This transformation of thought eradicated her fear, and I knew then that the tide had turned. The condition cleared up very quickly after that, and she was back at work within another few days. (Generally poison ivy takes 12-15 days to do its thing.)

To me, all healings work this way. We work toward an illumination of thought, be it the practitioner, the patient, the parent, the spouse. It's strongest to me when the patient's thought is transformed, because then they're less liable to a reoccurrence of the problem. But sometimes the practitioner's transformation of thought is enough to effect healing change.

What transformation of thought are you welcoming today? That's your instantaneous healing for today.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 9/27/2006 06:29:00 PM, Anonymous rev. Veronika said...

My instantaneous healing is whenever I remember and truly accept that I am one with the Father and that He created me in His image. Amen.

 
At 9/27/2006 07:00:00 PM, Anonymous rev. Veronika said...

I am reading Science & Health in a Year and keeping a journal. (Available in Christian Science Reading Rooms). Here is what I wrote on Day 12:

“Only as we rise above all material sensuousness and sin, can we reach the heaven-born aspiration and spiritual consciousness, which is indicated in the Lord’s Prayer and which instantaneously heals the sick.”
(Science & Health)

The question arises as to how I can possibly rise above ‘material sensuousness and sin’? Mortal mind can’t because this is exactly what it is made out of. But when I rise to the higher consciousness of immortal Mind, the Mind which was in Christ Jesus and is also in me, I can understand the Lord’s Prayer and be healed. Amen.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home