Monday, September 25, 2006

Accentuate the positive

Remember that song Accentuate the Positive? It's a song I don't even know how I know, since I never saw the Bing Crosby movie that features it. But once I saw the lyrics, I remembered the beat and the tune. One of those things deep in the memory banks, I guess.

I also found the blog Accentuate the Positive when I was trolling for the lyrics. Becky is Christian, and she's found spiritual meaning in the phrase. I have to say I agree with her! And love her blog.

One of the disciplines I've developed over the years is striving to state spiritual truths in the positive. It's very easy to get caught up in the negatives, even when we're denying them or trying to turn from them. Even when we're praising God, we can tend toward the negative.

Here's what I mean. In declaring what I know about God, I'd say things like, "You are flawless, spotless, painless, fearless, …" etc. But look at those words. Each one is a "not negative," or a negative thing with a "not" concept included.

So I started looking for ways to state what I meant positively. "You are perfection, purity, harmony, Love…" In stating what God is, not what He's not, I've gained a deeper connection to Spirit.

This has broad implications as well when I'm praying for myself as God's image and likeness. Instead of focusing on what I'm not, I focus on what I am as His image. Instead of thinking, "I am sinless," I'll declare, "As the image of the Divine, I am a pure reflection of Soul." Instead of, "I am not sick," I'll know, "I am the picture of health, full of Life and vitality." Instead of, "I am not poor," I'll hold to, "I have all the wealth of Spirit."

Try this out. Check in your prayers to see how often you use "not," or words with "un-" or "in-" or "-less," and see if you can't upgrade the terms to stating the ideas positively. And see how it can shape your conviction.

Let me know how it goes!


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 9/25/2006 09:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting to my blog. It should come as no surprise, then, that I agree with you completely! Have a blessed day. I'll be back.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home